Jamf server hanging on 'Initializing Change Management'

aamjohns
Contributor II

Hello,

I upgraded my Jamf Pro server from 10.28.to 10.31 today (it runs on Windows server).  Based on the instructions about the upgrade I checked the Change Management log file path and 1) it exists and 2) Tomcat runs as Local Service and has permissions to the directory.  I also tried changing the permissions on the directory so 'everyone' has modify.  I rebooted the server.  That didn't make any difference.

Since running the 10.31 upgrade, the server startup will not get past Initializing Change Management.  I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what a solution might be.  I did submit a support request with Jamf but have not heard back yet.

Thank you,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Samstar777
Contributor II

You missed a very important point from release notes:

Direct upgrades from Jamf Pro 10.28.x or earlier to Jamf Pro 10.30.0 or later may fail. An incremental upgrade to 10.29.x is now required for upgrades from 10.28.0 or earlier to Jamf Pro 10.30.0 or later.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Samstar777
Contributor II

You missed a very important point from release notes:

Direct upgrades from Jamf Pro 10.28.x or earlier to Jamf Pro 10.30.0 or later may fail. An incremental upgrade to 10.29.x is now required for upgrades from 10.28.0 or earlier to Jamf Pro 10.30.0 or later.

I wonder why that data was not presented in the same list as the three other warnings.  I didn't know this, thank you for pointing it out.

aamjohns
Contributor II

It's not listed in the known issues either.  Shouldn't it be?

https://account.jamf.com/products/jamf-pro/known-issues

@Samstar777 Can you tell me where this text appears?  I cannot find it in the release notes.

You may check the same in below link from Jamf

https://docs.jamf.com/10.31.0/jamf-pro/release-notes/Important_Notices.html

aamjohns
Contributor II

10-4 I see it.

man6
New Contributor II

This failed for me tonight going from 10.30.1 to 10.31.

man6
New Contributor II

NOTE:  This had to do with ChangeManagement resetting the log4j2 properties file to the defaulted JAMF PRO install directories.  If you set it to anything else, you will have to modify it before starting tomcat after upgrade to 10.31.

aamjohns
Contributor II

I did a restore of our server back to 10.28 version.  Then I updated to 10.29.2.  After that I updated to 10.31.  I still got the hang on Initializing Change Management.  Jamf support had me do the following which fixed the issue:

1. Stop Tomcat

2. Run the following query in MySQL: truncate change_management; (you may first need to run the command 'use jamfsoftware;'

3. Start Tomcat

4. Once Jamf Pro is initialized, re-enable 'Use Log File' and 'Use Syslog Server' if needed and modify the Change Management log file location within Settings > System Settings > Change Management to the correct location

jurbina23
New Contributor II

Literally just ran into same problem as you aamjohns going to 10.31.1 and those instructions worked for my Windows server box. Thanks!

llullo1
New Contributor II

This was so helpful, thank you! 

jstasik
New Contributor II

@aamjohns thank you.  This worked for us as well.  We had engaged support and they gave us another suggestion that didn't help, but this worked like a charm.

This worked! thank You!

Just encountered this issue upgrading from 10.30.2 to 10.32.2, the truncate command fixed it right up, thank you.

wam
New Contributor

Thanks for this info - this worked for us on windows going from 10.29.2 to 10.33