Jamf Wipe code not working

CrepuscularDave
New Contributor II

I have a test MacBook Pro that I issued a Wipe Computer Command to. The MacBook now starts up with the lock symbol, but the 6-digit code does not work. The code is correct as up until yesterday i could see it in the device's management history, and took a screen-shot. The situation I am now in is that the MacBook restarts at a logon screen, indicating that the Wipe command has been received but not started yet. If I attempt to login, it restarts with the lock symbol. Attempts to boot into Recovery also result in the lock symbol.

Has anyone else experienced this? I re-iterate that the 6-digit code is 100% correct.

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@user-JqUTUNOxpb

Let the machine sit, powered on, plugged into power, and do not touch the keyboard or trackpad for at least 2 hours. If you can let it sit overnight, let it sit. After you've let it sit, try the code. If it still does not work, let the machine sit for longer and try again.

If after that you're unable to get in, you'll need to take the device to Apple with proof of ownership (invoice showing serial) for them to unlock.

We've seen this before where a machine does not accept the code until we let it sit. I believe (my un-edcuated guess) that the keyboard process is buffering any keypresses that are happening and if they do not match the PIN, they cause the machine to get into this funky state.

RLR
Valued Contributor

I'm seeing this issue at the moment. Sent a wipe device command to a MAC and entered a six digit code. When the device boots up it asks for the 6 digit code but it's telling me it's wrong even though I can see the code I entered in the Computer Logs in Jamf. I'm entering the code correctly but it's not accepting it.