JamfPro "Wipe" command question

kprimm
New Contributor III

Hello, 

I went and looked through all similar threads but didn't find any experiencing my issue.  I tested the 'Wipe" feature on my Macbook before performing the command on a user who locked himself out of his Mac and forgot his password and had some questions about the process.  When you hit Wipe, it prompts to enter a remote wipe passcode, and there is a box above that says "Clear Activation Lock".  I left that box unchecked and just entered 123456 for the PIN.  But when I sent the command it just nuked my machine and reset/reformatted my Mac, it didnt ask for a PIN code or display any message.  Is this PIN not needed when you do not check the Clear Activation Lock box?  And also, should I be checking the Clear Activation Lock?  And my last question is after the factory reset, the device now shows 'unmanaged' in Jamf Pro but on Jamf Pro's website it claims that the Wipe will not unenroll the device.  So theoretically if I had done this on a device that was stolen it would just put a fresh version of MacOS on the device and I could not longer reach it through Jamf Pro, is all of this by design or does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks a million and forgive my ignorance with Jamf/Mac =)

Kerry

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

It wipes it and will have to enroll it again which if still scoped to a prestage, should just enroll again for you.

I've seen it go to a secondary screen a few times where it needs to re activate on apples servers after the initial wipe.  And once or twice where it required a reinstall of the system after the wipe, which it then auto booted into recovery mode.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

View solution in original post

talkingmoose

In that prompt you saw, Activation and the PIN are two unrelated things.

You followed the correct procedure, which is to only check Clear Activation Lock if you need it (sounds like you didn’t) and to enter an arbitrary PIN. If the computer has been protected with a firmware passcode, you’d need the correct PIN to clear that before the computer would be wiped.

A wipe command will erase both user data and macOS on macOS Big Sur and earlier Macs. It will perform an Erase All Content and Settings on macOS Monterey and later Macs (leaving the operating system in place and at the Setup Assistant) that support Erase All Content and Settings.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Yes, if its scoped to a prestage enrollment though, once it starts up it will automatically re enroll and lock back to your organization.  Its only unmanaged until someone attempts to start it up.  If not scoped to a prestage then yes its unmanaged.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

I am having a similar issue with the wipe command on my iOS device. It has reset, and is now listed as unmanaged, however, I am unable to see the device/add the device back to the scope in my PreStage Enrollment it was originally in. Please advice. 

We have initiated the Wipe command from Jamf to macOS and given a pin. However, pin is not accepting. Also EFI password showing as not set. So now its stuck at initial screen and unable to proceed further. Kindly advice.

sk25
Contributor

Guys, We have initiated the Wipe command from Jamf to macOS and given a pin. However, pin is not accepting. Also EFI password showing as not set. So now its stuck at initial screen and unable to proceed further. Kindly advice.

8 REPLIES 8

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

It wipes it and will have to enroll it again which if still scoped to a prestage, should just enroll again for you.

I've seen it go to a secondary screen a few times where it needs to re activate on apples servers after the initial wipe.  And once or twice where it required a reinstall of the system after the wipe, which it then auto booted into recovery mode.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

talkingmoose

In that prompt you saw, Activation and the PIN are two unrelated things.

You followed the correct procedure, which is to only check Clear Activation Lock if you need it (sounds like you didn’t) and to enter an arbitrary PIN. If the computer has been protected with a firmware passcode, you’d need the correct PIN to clear that before the computer would be wiped.

A wipe command will erase both user data and macOS on macOS Big Sur and earlier Macs. It will perform an Erase All Content and Settings on macOS Monterey and later Macs (leaving the operating system in place and at the Setup Assistant) that support Erase All Content and Settings.

kprimm
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response, greatly appreciated.

kprimm
New Contributor III

@talkingmoose So just to confirm, after the Mac resets to factory default, unless in "pre-stage" scope the device needs re-enrolled into Jamf or it will remain 'unmanaged', correct?

I am having a similar issue with the wipe command on my iOS device. It has reset, and is now listed as unmanaged, however, I am unable to see the device/add the device back to the scope in my PreStage Enrollment it was originally in. Please advice. 

We have initiated the Wipe command from Jamf to macOS and given a pin. However, pin is not accepting. Also EFI password showing as not set. So now its stuck at initial screen and unable to proceed further. Kindly advice.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Yes, if its scoped to a prestage enrollment though, once it starts up it will automatically re enroll and lock back to your organization.  Its only unmanaged until someone attempts to start it up.  If not scoped to a prestage then yes its unmanaged.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

sk25
Contributor

Guys, We have initiated the Wipe command from Jamf to macOS and given a pin. However, pin is not accepting. Also EFI password showing as not set. So now its stuck at initial screen and unable to proceed further. Kindly advice.