Java 2013-002 plugin enabling instructions no longer work

nkalister
Valued Contributor

anyone else finding that apple's instructions for enabling the java plugin in web browsers no longer work with the 2013-002 version?
I've used these instructions up through 2013-001, not working with 2013-002:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5559

7 REPLIES 7

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

You should be able to simply push the update. You shouldn't have to re-enable it. Though, we've just moved ahead to pushing oracle packages instead.

nkalister
Valued Contributor

nope- the /System/Library/Java/Support/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPlugin2_NPAPI.plugin file is no longer included with this package, so it's not working.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

That process is still working for me with 2013-002. I just have a script that runs after 2013-002 installs.

Edit: perhaps my JavaPlugin2_NPAPI file is just left-over from previous installs.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I just realized that we deal with java 7 runtime, so I may owe some apologies ;-)

nkalister
Valued Contributor

looks like I jumped the gun as well- I just deleted /System/Library/Java, re-ran java 2013-002, and it did put all the pieces back in place in the deploy.bundle and the plugin's working fine.
weird! but i'm happy. now it's time to confirm results on newly built machines and few more in the field.

leex1528
New Contributor

I have tried to re-enable java 7 as well. We have some apps that you needed to have java 6 so using apples instructions I disabled it. When I run the re-enable script it does not work. I go to verify my java version and receive java 6 update 41 as my current version. I have tried deleting /System/Library/Java and re install java 7, it still is not taking. The weird thing is checking my version of Java everywhere on my machine it says I have 7 update 17, through terminal and through system prefs. Any ideas out there?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I may need some clarification here. If you want to try running Java 6 again you need to make sure that you're up to 1.6 update 43 not 41 which is still blocked. I'd try that first if that's your true goal.