JDS not deploying DMG files via casper imaging

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

When I use casper imaging and select a JDS server. It runs through the workflow but when it reboots, I just get the flashing folder with a ?. I've tried multiple known-working OS dmg files, all do the same thing. It looks as if only the pkg files are running.
I can use the same files on the regular AFP share and the machine reboots and is imaged as expected.

10 REPLIES 10

brad_king
New Contributor

I've been working on this for the past few days as well. I have noticed the same behavior as you describe; imaging an existing configuration via an AFP share works, imaging the same existing configuration via a JDS instance does not work.

An exception to the above is that Target Disk Mode Imaging does work when pulling from a JDS. Our NetBoot environment fails, but using Target Disk Mode Imaging succeeds. Can you test this in your environment, @jwojda?

Lastly, I've noticed that immediately after imaging, the /private/var/logs/jamf.log has entries that read:

Tue Nov 26 10:29:08 NetBoot001 jamf[1203]: Mounted file server 
Tue Nov 26 10:29:11 NetBoot001 jamf[1294]: 
There was an error.

Could not find an existing configuration to modify

Tue Nov 26 10:29:12 NetBoot001 jamf[1298]: The SSL certificate for https://JSS:8443/ does not need to be trusted.

I do not save imaging values for machines, which is what I would assume this logs refers to.

I have been experimenting with the following:
- Casper Imaging 9.21
- NetBoot Environments:
[ul]- OS X 10.9 (Build 13A3017)
- OS X 10.8.5 (Build 12F45)

[/li]
[li]Base OS Images:
- OS X 10.9 (Build 13A3017)
- OS X 10.9 (Build 13A603)
- OS X 10.8.4 (Build 12E3067)

[/li][/ul]

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

I had just tried the target boot, and sure enough, it worked fine. I passed this information back to jamf support on a ticket as well.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

as an FYI - there's a defect keyed for this - D-005796

winningham_2
Contributor

@jwojda I believe this defect still exists. Am I right?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@winningham.2

D-005796 is still open, correct.

If your JDS is running on a Mac, we can use this KB as a workaround: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=369

It looks as though you've commented on that KB already and, as far as I can find, we don't have a version of that script for Linux environments.

The defect itself is listed as a Planned For Release disposition, so hopefully we'll see a fix for it soon.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Leal
New Contributor III

Any update on this for a linux based JDS?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@Leal

D-005796 is still listed as open, and being worked on.

There is currently no workaround for a linux based JDS and, until D-005796, we will be unable to use Netboot for imaging if our primary distribution point is a linux based JDS. We will need to either use an AFP or SMB share as the primary distribution point, or we will need to use a different method of imaging.

If you'd like to open up a case with your Technical Account Manager to have it attached to D-005796 or to discuss other options in more environment specific detail, please feel free to reach out to them directly, by calling the General Support line, by sending an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or by using the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

Leal
New Contributor III

Any news on this?

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

@Leal There's this:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=386

Leal
New Contributor III

I followed the instructions but it doesn't say if there are any additional configuration that needs to made on the JSS.