JDS vs File Distribution Replication

NealIV
Contributor

I just installed the JDS to replicate to my distribution point. What is the difference between JDS replication and doing it via the File Share Distribution? Also is the JDS replicating overnight or is this not an option yet, meaning its still all manual.

6 REPLIES 6

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

JDS you replicate to 1, then it replicates to others.
You can do some logic like: A -> B
B -> D D -> C
D -> E
JDS'ES currently replicate when there's new files on their parent.
JDS'ES also don't support failover

While, File Shares you're doing all your replication through casper admin.. (Calling out @CasperSally for pointing out you can select multiple at once.) File Shares support failover.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

From what I understand, the JDS's replicate on a schedule. They "check in" to the database and pull the packages when they see it available on whatever schedule they use to check. The children then "check in" to the parent JDS and replicate down.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@NealIV, JDS replicate check-in with their parent JDS every 5 minutes & if something is needed to be replicated to the child JDS it is then replicated.

Replicating to a distribution point is still a manual process.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

For automated/scheduled file share dp replication

Check out the scripts that @loceee wrote

https://github.com/loceee/OSXCasperScripts/tree/master/synccdps

NealIV
Contributor

@bentoms I only installed the the JDS on the child distribution point and not the main server should it be running on both?

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

@NealIV You don't need to install a Distro on your main JSS. From what you're saying you have one JDS. That will be your parent.

Keep in mind on first sync, if you're moving from DP -> JDS it syncs everything through the JSS'ES Database, which can create alot of traffic.

You can avoid this, by manually putting all the packages on your JDS & running sudo jamfds inventory