#JNUC - CrashPlan PROe: Endpoint Device Backup for the Enterprise

wudi
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

We are excited to present with Andrew Renz, a Code 42 senior enterprise engineer, on Oct. 24 from 2:15-3:15 p.m. CST. at the JNUC! Andrew will outline and demonstrate how organizations can easily implement and manage automated, consistent backups and restores for everyone, regardless of their location or operating system. We will also have a couple members of our JAMF Nation community available to discuss how working with CrashPlan AND the Casper Suite can make life a little easier for all of us!

If you're not yet familiar with CrashPlan, or the team from Code42, come bring your questions along! We will be posting resources from the presentation after the session today, and there will also be a number of individuals that can answer questions in the 'support' row at the JNUC, or in an overtime session in the classrooms on the the 8th floor of the Guthrie immediately after the session.

Thanks!

wudi

6 REPLIES 6

Bhughes
Contributor

Hi @wudi - do you know if this session was recorded?

wudi
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

At the time that session was done, I don't think we were recording them. If it is helpful, I believe our team has evolved that content into the PDF at:

https://www.jamf.com/resources/deploying-crashplan-with-the-casper-suite/

Let me know if there are other questions you have!

wudi

Bhughes
Contributor

@wudi thanks for the quick response. This is great, thanks!

Does CrashPlan PROe do full drive (clone) backup/restore, or is it file based? We're in a conundrum where we don't have enough Mac's to justify paying for an enterprise break fix solution; therefore when there's a break/fix event, we push the users to use Apple (store, or send the device in for repair). Obviously there are privacy/data concerns there that need to be addressed.
I am looking for a backup, wipe (repair), restore type of solution.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Bhughes CPP does file based backup. What you are describing as a need, I would look at Carbon Copy Cloner or something like that, or even the built in Disk Utility to create a disk image.

wudi
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

I don't know that I am the expert on all things CrashPlan ;). It operates on a file-base, and most deployments I have experienced are based on managing the most valuable user data (think home directory). I think that under the hood there is a lot more than that going on - for example I think if you change a large file, it is only detecting and moving block-level changes over to the the backup destination to save bandwidth and time - perhaps one of the Code42 experts that are out there would be able to jump in?

On the break fix, we usually encourage a workflow where you can wipe the OS (either with Casper/Jamf Pro, or use the Utilities on the recovery partition), and then reinstall the OS/configuration and restore the data when the device is back to in-service, starting with the recovery partition again. Some info on the recovery partition from Apple:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

There are lots of ways to get it done - and many that may be better depending on your workflow, but this one should always work and be current!

wudi

Bhughes
Contributor

Thanks @wudi for the info!