JSS 9.01 DB Lag & Possible Memory Leak

Cranappras
New Contributor III

We are currently running JSS 9.01 on a 10.7.5 server, and ever since upgrading to version 9, we've started to experience severe lag whenever doing anything that might be database intensive. If you click on something like Computer History it will take several minutes to display the logs. Search takes several minutes to complete even though we have less than 250 client systems.These are just a couple examples; the same thing happens with other features that would require searching or updating the DB.

Initially I tried to flush the old DB logs, which brought the entire web app down. The same thing occurs if I click "Database Table Status". I've restored a back-up of the database and the same problems arise. We increased the memory available to Tomcat, but it didn't make a difference.

Also, we pulled up the activity monitor on the server and noticed that once we click "Database Table Status" in the JSS web app, the available memory on the server begins a steady decline. Before clicking this we'll have about 9GB free and it continues to drop until there is only about 15MB remaining. The only way to resolve this seems to be restarting the server.

Has anyone else run in to this since updating, and if so, have you found a resolution or at least been able to determine the cause?

Thanks,

Josh

10 REPLIES 10

jbembry
New Contributor III

+1 on the lag. We are running it on 10.8.4 and have a similar number of clients. What's worse, mysql and tomcat kept crashing. I went as far as rebuilding the server and everything seemed better until I left it overnight. I don't know if it was the Adobe creative cloud deployment I was deploying overnight or just another random crash of casper suite.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Which version of mysql and java do you have installed?

jbembry
New Contributor III

For me 1.6 (7u25 is on the machine but doesn't support cli) and mysql 5.6.13.

Cranappras
New Contributor III

For Java we have 1.6 and 1.7u25 installed and we were running MySQL 5.5.24, but we upgraded to 5.6.13 in an attempt to resolve the issues we are having. It didn't make any difference.

Cranappras
New Contributor III

Will from the JAMF support team contacted me on Friday and was able to resolve the issue for us. Turns out our plug-ins table was causing our issues, but simply turning off the collection of plug-ins didn't resolve it. We had to truncate the table, but once that was done, everything started working perfectly again.

That said, this may not be an ideal solution for anyone else having the exact same problem. We just happened to not really need the plug-ins table. For what we were using it for, we can just use extension attributes instead instead of collecting plug-in info for thousands of plug-ins that we don't care about. Out of a 13.5GB database, 9.5GB was just the plug-ins table.

mvanvliet
New Contributor

I have had the same table 'Plug-ins' be an issue here I am still rockin 8.64. Spent months on the line with them, only workaround was to disabled 'plug-in' collection and truncate the table which we use (well used) for some specific application plug-ins smart groups. When i spoke with them they stated it was a known issue and were working on it. I was hoping it was fixed in 9.x but it appears that is not the case. Maybe in 9.1 etc they will rewrite the DB :-)

coreythefore
New Contributor

I'm still seeing this issue. I run the purge command regularly throughout the day to free up system memory. Have hd plug-in collection off for quite a while, allocated more memory to Tomcat, even worked with tech to drop and restore the entire db in hopes it was a corrupt table but everything checks out OK. latest update to 9.12 was no help.

powellbc
Contributor II

WE too have fallen prey to this. The database now is so large the system drive is out of space.

powellbc
Contributor II

Update for us, not sure if this is what is being described in this thread but thought I would share:

When we upgraded from 8.61 to 9.2, MySQL Binary Logging was enabled and the logs kept being written until the drive was completely full. I have been able to purge them but not disable the logging (even after upgrading to 9.21 today). They are still being written despite the JSSDatabaseUtil showing that Binary Logging is not enabled.

hansenb54
New Contributor

We have had the same issue pretty much from the get go. We started with 8.2 and are up to 9.31 as of today. I was hoping somewhere along the way the issue would be fixed. I will continue to wait I guess...