kill process

lama
New Contributor

I created RESTRICTED software but it is not stopping Mavericks from installing. Please help

Display Name
Display name for the restricted software record
stop installation OS X Mavericks

Process Name
Name of the process to restrict (e.g."Chess", or "Chess.app"). The asterisk (*) can be used as a wildcard character

Install OS X Mavericks.apps

[ ] Restrict exact process name
Only restrict processes that match the exact process name. The match is case-sensitive and recognizes the asterisk (*) as a literal character Send email notification on violation

When the process is found, send an email notification to JSS users with email notifications enabled. An SMTP server must be set up in the JSS for this to work
[ ] Kill process

Terminate the process when found [ ] Delete application
Delete the application running the restricted process

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

First off, "Install OS X Mavericks.apps" is just wrong, which is likely why it won't work, if that's in fact how you've set it up. At a minimum, drop the extra 's" at the end. there is no ".apps" extension, only .app.
But my recommendation would be to drop the extension altogether and just put the process name in, which is just "Install OS X Mavericks" If you ever need to set up Restricted Software and aren't sure what to enter, run the application on your Mac, and then in Terminal look for it by doing-

ps axc | grep "partial process name"

which should pull it up and you can see how the OS actually sees it. Its typically the same as the full application name minus the extension.
That's how ours is set up and it works. We're still on JSS 8.73 so I don't know if there is a difference in work/doesn't work regarding 8.x and 9.x though.

lama
New Contributor

Thank YOU so much

scottb
Honored Contributor

FWIW, we have this one running now and the "Process to look for: is "Install OS X Mavericks"
No scripting or scripts needed.
Works great. We also set it to "Delete" which is a really good way to demoralize the clients on a slow LAN from trying again...