Limiting iPad apps

seanffc
New Contributor II

I'm a bit new to Jamf but I'm running into my first issue. We are setting up our first batch of managed iPads and we need to restrict them to just one 3rd party app, safari, settings, and clock.

Under their configuration profile, Restrictions, and Applications if I set it to "Only Allow Some Apps" and choose those 4 apps, only the Settings app shows up.

If I choose "Do Not Allow Some Apps" and put Garage Band, etc. in there then the apps are still on the screen but you can't launch them. Ideally I'd like apps like Garage Band uninstalled but I don't see an option to uninstall said apps.

7 REPLIES 7

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@seanffc I am assuming that these iPads are supervised? I have the same configuration as you. I am using the payload "Only allow the following apps" and then adding apps to that. If I were you I would add settings to that payload because in no way can you remove that app from (even managed) iOS devices. That may be causing your issue.

Let me know the outcome,
Jared

seanffc
New Contributor II

Yes, these are all supervised devices.

I'm sorry you lost me on the "add settings to that payload". This Configuration Profile does have a handful of other settings, especially with Restrictions. I was looking to see if any of the other restrictions that I've unchecked could be causing a conflict here but nothing stood out.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@seanffc

I mean actually add the "Settings" app to the "Only allow the following apps" configuration profile. The Settings app on iOS devices is non removable and must always be on the device. This could be causing your issue, I am not sure.

seanffc
New Contributor II

Yes - settings is added as one of the allowed apps and it shows up. None of the others show up.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Can you send me the specific types of apps you are adding. I want to try to replicate it on my test iPad.

Jared

seanffc
New Contributor II

It is just Safari, Settings, Clock and the Restaurant365 app.

I started from scratch and it works exactly as expected. So now I'm going through the restrictions one by one to see which of those are causing a conflict.

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Good to hear.