Locating Lost Mac book Pro

DAMc
New Contributor III

Hello Jamf Nation

My boss lost their Mac book Pro and is asking if our MDM Jamf Pro 10.47 can find it

The pre-stage enrolment does require location services be enabled but I do not see anywhere to look for the laptop from Jamf Pro

Is this a function of Jamf Pro or can this only be done iCloud > Find My app?

I don’t believe they set up iCloud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Apple has Find My Device in iCloud, but that has not made it out of the consumer lane and is not a part of MDM workflows for macOS.

Some security and monitoring tools can provide location data, but that is limited to the location of the networks public IP address as Macs don't have GPS. Due to my works VPN, my location current shows in Miami and I am about 16hrs from Miami so its not reliable. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

not in jamf.. but you can see the last IP address..  if its still checking in you can lock it.. even if its not.. send a lock.. next time it comes online if its past FileVault lock.. it will lock..  and if the device is in ABM, then even after a wipe it will only enrol back into your JAMF

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Apple has Find My Device in iCloud, but that has not made it out of the consumer lane and is not a part of MDM workflows for macOS.

Some security and monitoring tools can provide location data, but that is limited to the location of the networks public IP address as Macs don't have GPS. Due to my works VPN, my location current shows in Miami and I am about 16hrs from Miami so its not reliable. 

DAMc
New Contributor III

Thank you both for the replies

Will have to get users to set up iCloud 

The laptop has been found fortunately 

jtrant
Valued Contributor

Be aware that enabling "Find My Mac" also enables Activation Lock unless this is prevented in your PreStage configuration.

MatG
Contributor III

You could try installing Prey on it if it comes back online.
https://preyproject.com/