Logging into Admin at login screen when user is signed in?

Digit216
New Contributor

Aloha Jamf Nation!

At my previous workplace we had a specific kind of "fast switching" enabled where for example: "John Rambo" is logged into his machine and steps away, computer goes to sleep and an admin remotes into the machine and is now at John Rambos login screen. We then would just press command+enter and the John Rambo user name/icon would switch to an enter user name and password login option, we enter the admin creds and would get into John Rambo's current session.

I was not the Jamf admin that set that up, but now at my new workplace I would like to get this setup as it's a great way to get users remote assistance without having to bother them for their password.

Anyone here have ideas how this would be accomplished? Pretty sure it's a lot more than just enabling "fast user switching" and believe there was some scripting involved.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

Look into enabling Remote Management (System Preferences > Sharing) and using Jamf Remote to connect. I believe this is what you're after.

Digit216
New Contributor

Nah that's not it. We already have that enabled, no problem.

What I should've probably corrected in my post is not being remote, but actually in front of a machine where a user is already logged in and I want to use the admin creds to log into their current session. Does that make more sense?

mmcallister
Contributor II

You can only do this if the logged in user is not an Admin.

Digit216
New Contributor

Aaaaaaah damn, really? That's probably why I couldn't figure this out. WHOMP WHOMP.

Thanks for saving me from banging my head against the wall any longer!!!