Login screen display preferences

jkarpenske
New Contributor III

We have a Mac Studio running macOS Ventura. it's connected to a Studio Display via Thunderbolt, and to a Crestron system via HDMI, which feeds two large displays at the front of the classroom. The problem is that on power-on, the login screen defaults to the large displays, which are to the instructors' backs. We'd like to either force the login screen to be on the Studio Display, or if that's not possible, at least have the displays mirrored at startup so the instructors can see where they're typing (and hopefully avoid typing their password into the username field for all to see!).

I read that if an admin set the primary display to be the Studio Display, that it should respect that setting on future reboots, including for the login screen, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

We're looking for a solution that "just works," i.e. doesn't involve instructors having to disconnect cables before login, etc. We didn't seem to have this problem last year when we were running macOS Monterey on the same hardware.

Any help folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Jeremy

4 REPLIES 4

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The "It just works" only apple is when you are using a device the way Apple designed it to work. There is not a way that I am aware of to change display settings from the log in window, to the logged in session (ie mirrored display to extended display).

The default display could be set to whichever display is say in front of the user in display settings. The login window displays on the default display.

jkarpenske
New Contributor III

I agree - the login should show up on the default display - and we've set the Apple Studio Display to be default as an admin user, but it doesn't seem to persist after a reboot.  We're continuing to experiment to hopefully find a solution.

Sorry to rehash an old threat, but I'm curious to know if you ever found a solution to this. Having a similar issue at my site - we need the refresh rate to be set to 60hz for all user due to capture cards but I can't find a way to make this stick!

Unfortunately, no, we never found a solution to make the settings stick.  I'm sorry I don't have a better answer.