Login Window Prefs Configuration- HELP!

grecopj
Contributor

HI all,

I have a configuration profile to set the login window preferences. It seems to be pushing down to all 24 machines but the option for Automatic Login is not sticking on 12 of those machines. If I go to the login window preferences on that machine, the box is unchecked to auto log in. If I log out of those machines manually I see that the profile is there because the message above the login prompt I want is there. But when I restart, they auto login as the admin user.

I've deleted the profile and recreated it but those same machines still auto login. I've seen the other posts but have not seen a clear reason as to why this is happening or a clear fix for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the level set to Computer Level

Using JSS 9.32 and the clients are 10.94

Thanks in advance
Pete

5 REPLIES 5

stevevalle
Contributor III

@grecopj - This should work!

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow autoLoginUser *name_of_user*

Or you can push out the .plist file as a policy (or at imaging time) to the required machines.

grecopj
Contributor

Thanks Steve, but I don't want the machines to auto login. I want the Username and Password fields to come up each time a machine is started. That is what you responded with would do, right?

I've tried deleting the Profile and using managed preferences instead. It's better but still get a handful of machines that login automatically as the admin even though the preferences are being pushed down.

Have a support ticket in with JAMF. They are looking at the logs to see if they see anything.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You might want to run the profiles command on both an affected Mac (one that keeps auto logging in) and one that is not affected to see what the difference in the installed profiles may be, if any. Its possible you have some other profile that is overriding the setting you're trying to apply on the affected ones.

Also, you mentioned using MCX instead of Profiles. Be careful about using both, especially if trying to do the same thing with each one. You could run into odd issues.

stevevalle
Contributor III

@grecopj - The terminal command to turn auto login off is:

defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow autoLoginUser

If you want to display Name and Password:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWFULLNAME -bool false

Change the false to true to will show List of Users.

You may want to confirm that you have connectivity to the JSS with the machines that are not getting the profile. Do they check in as often as the other Macs? As @mm2270 mentioned, you will have issues if you use Managed Preferences and Profiles at the same time.

Hope that helps.

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

I always set that in a first boot script. Never had an issue