Logout "Checking for policies" message customizable?

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I'm wracking my brain trying to find a clean way to upgrade Office 2016 that does not force users to quit their apps. I like the process for installing the Office 2016 installer at logout, but the "Checking for policies" message is so generic that I am sure users will perform a hard shutdown during the install.

Is there any way to display some sort of message to warn users to wait without it looking like the process is hanging?

2 REPLIES 2

rqomsiya
Contributor III

Hi Alex,

Are you installing updates or running other policies? I use cocoa dialog to notify users of what's going on during logouts if I'm installing cached packages, etc...

Kennedy
New Contributor II

Hi Alex,

We roll out the Office updates by checking if the process is running for each of the Office apps. If it's running, we skip, if not then we install. Works really well.

We cache the updates first, then scope the "try install" script to the machines that have the packages cached. The try install script just checks for running processes, and then runs jamf policy -id xx where xx is the policy ID of the "Install Cached" policy for each app.

Throw a couple of Smart Groups into the mix and you have a solution.

I have also read that you can install the latest versions over the top even if they're running - but I prefer not to.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,
Gavin