Losing SMB Shares frequently

hinrichd
New Contributor III

Dear Casper Folks,

since some weeks i have the problem that our clients losing SMB Shares. One Server Share more often than other. The system.log says:

Aug 2 16:27:56 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 received event(s) VQ_NOTRESP (1)
Aug 2 16:27:56 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 type 'smbfs', mounted on '/Volumes/share', from '//user@server/share', not responding
Aug 2 16:27:56 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)
Aug 2 16:28:34 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 received event(s) VQ_DEAD (32)
Aug 2 16:28:34 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 type 'smbfs', mounted on '/Volumes/sahre', from '//user@server/share', dead
Aug 2 16:28:34 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 force unmount //user@server/share from /Volumes/share
Aug 2 16:28:34 hhlokfda-mac10 KernelEventAgent[78]: tid 00000000 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)

I have no idea where this comes from an how to fix it. Any ideas?

Best thanks
Hinrchd

7 REPLIES 7

tcam
Contributor

Is he connecting to multiple network shares on the same server? if so, do they all cut out or just that one share?

Is he using wifi? if so, have you tried using ethernet.

Is his computer set to sleep frequently? if so have you tried configuring his computer to not to sleep when plugged into power. and having him stay plugged in.

What is their DHCP lease time set to?

hinrichd
New Contributor III

@tcam Is he connecting to multiple network shares on the same server? if so, do they all cut out or just that one share?
--> Only one share on one server!

Is he using wifi? if so, have you tried using ethernet.
--> Only ethernet is activ

Is his computer set to sleep frequently? if so have you tried configuring his computer to not to sleep when plugged into power. and having him stay plugged in.
--> Sleep is set to never/off!

What is their DHCP lease time set to?

Thanks so far
hinrichd

etippett
Contributor II

@hinrichd Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue.

Thanks!
Eric

hinrichd
New Contributor III

No, not really. Actually, we are hosting the share on an different server. This was solving all our problems.....

etippett
Contributor II

@hinrichd Is the server running a different OS or are the clients connecting in a different manner, such as over AFP instead? Just curious what variables might have changed with the new server that it works for you.

Thanks,
Eric

hinrichd
New Contributor III

@etippett the Server is running on a different OS. Now we are using an netapp solution. Befor, the share was hosted on an old windows server os. The clients still using smb...
Best
Hinrichd

etippett
Contributor II

Interesting. I'm seeing the exact same issue on shares hosted on both Windows Server 2008 R2 and an EMC VNX NAS. Happy it worked out for you! I'll keep digging...

Eric