Lost Mode App

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

Hey guys! I created an app for quickly enabling/disabling Lost Mode for my students, who are constantly losing their devices. It’s up for $1.99 but if you can’t swing that, just send a message and I’ll add you to the Beta Testers group. Hope it’s as useful for you as it’s already been for me!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jss-lost-mode/id1321430598?mt=8

8 REPLIES 8

bumbletech
Contributor III

Whoa, what's awesome!

(Also, if you have any Swift/Xcode resources you'd like to recommend...)

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

I actually cheated and used Pythonista. There’s an Xcode template that allows you to use Python (2.7) to generate native iOS apps, which is pretty amazing. I can’t reccomend Pythonista enough. One of the best iOS apps ever, in my opinion, and well worth $10.

Emmert
Valued Contributor

I bought a license for this app but it doesn't seem to be saving my server details, or even working at all. This is an iPad Pro running iOS 11.2.5. Any troubleshooting suggestions?

One of my more cautious colleagues suggested that I shouldn't be entering our sensitive JSS info into a totally random app, especially one with such a goofy name and icon.

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

Hmm I haven’t updated my iPad yet, but I’ll give it a try today. Regarding the header on top, I’ll probably change that in the next version. It only stores the login on the device, but I guess I should probably put that in the description as well. Honestly, I didn’t intend to use it anywhere but in-house but then figured someone else might get some use out of it.
Are you seeing your devices after putting your login and URL in or is it just not saving them when you re-open the settings dialog?

Emmert
Valued Contributor

I'm not seeing any devices or having it save the settings.

Thanks for taking a look!

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

@Emmert I think I narrowed down PART of the issue. Would you want to send me your e-mail in a private message so I can add you to the beta testers group?

I'm also going to publish the source code just in case anyone has concerns about privacy, etc.

But I kind of like the icon... :)

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

Actually I don't see any way to send a private message... you can e-mail me df92991fe812403f872a86e96434f145

GSSRyan
New Contributor III

For anyone interested/concerned, I uploaded the source code to GitHub.
If you want to run it in Pythonista (which is super awesome!), just copy the "Scripts" folder and run main.py.
The new version (1.4) with persistent settings will be released on the app store as soon as Apple approves it. I'm super new to this process, so I don't know exactly how long that will be, but I'd expect within 24 hours.

Enjoy, and thanks @Emmert for being one of the 3 to try it out and provide feedback! Actually, it may only be 2, since I'm pretty sure one of the sales was my mom...