M1-BigSur weird Config profile behavior

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've got a new M1 MBPro 13" running Big Sur 11.0.1. We use ESET Antivirus on our Macs, and I've built a config profile for Privacy and System Extensions. I'm using ESET 6.10, which is compatible with Big Sur, and the instructions provided by ESET for building the Config Profile in Big Sur, which contain the necessary Team Identifier, Code Requirements, etc.
The profile is scoped only to ARM64 Macs.

I can build the profile without issue. Once thats done, it should get deployed. Here is the weird part...

Watching System Prefs/ Profile window on the MacBook, I can see the profile appear. It's verified and has all the expected settings and information.
About 15 or 20 seconds later, it disappears.
In Jamf, I'm also watching the logs for the Config profile, clicking refresh every so often. While I'm viewing the profile on the MacBook, the deployment status shows pending.
After the profile disappears from the MacBook the status updates to "Failed".

When I look at the Management History/Failed commands, I see the failure, with the error "The operation couldn’t be completed. Connection refused".

I've now rebuilt the profile twice, with no change in behavior. Other (older) profiles are loading up just fine, although those profiles do not include System Extension payloads.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts. I know there are other reported issues with Config profiles on M1 and Big Sur (like "SPErrorDomain Error 10", which I've also come across), but this behavior is strange to me.

2 REPLIES 2

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Did you ever find a cause or solution for this? I'm starting to see it on a few intel Macs running Monterey when I try to push a Config Profile.

mattedmonds
New Contributor II

This is probably too late, but I had one laptop that was giving me the same message with a profile, so I tried it without the System extension payload and it uploaded immediately. I would be curious why this happened and what caused this behaviour.