Mac App Store app fails

rambro
New Contributor II

I have a problem with deploying mac app store apps. I have setup 2 new macbook pros and both I cannot install apps from self service that are mac store apps. It fails and then opens the app store. I do not have this problem on a few macbooks that where setup a while ago. any ideas?

31 REPLIES 31

tsossong
New Contributor III

As I know if you set up Mac App Store Apps you always will end up in Mac App Store. This option is always my last option of deployment. I would recommend to buy the app with VPP or download it and build a package for each app.
You could also check your Apple ID you use for login to the AppStore maybe its locked because of to many connections...or to many login attempts.

rambro
New Contributor II

These are VPP purchased apps they still fail I will check the apple id login

rambro
New Contributor II

Apple ID is not locked out.

LovelessinSEA
Contributor II

Are you scoping the VPP apps to machines or to users?

rambro
New Contributor II

machine

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

I am also seeing this on a newly set up 10.13.4 machine with VPP apps. The ones I have set to be pushed out never get installed and any that are optionally put into Self Service are just opening the App Store. The user account is confirmed to be an MDM User.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I wonder if this might be PI-005189. Have you reached out to JAMF Support?

McAwesome
Valued Contributor

@bpavlov I can't find anything about that. Can you link me to something on it?

I have not reached out to JAMF support yet. My first stop was here to see if it was an easy fix.

Brad_G
Contributor II

@bpavlov can you comment on what PI-005189 is?

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

We also have Mac App Store apps with plenty of available licenses through VPP unable to install. Our Jamf instance is on 10.3 and I've replicated on 10.12 and 10.13 Macs. What's the scope of PI-005189?

mccallister
Contributor

JAMF has always had issues pushing VPP apps to local accounts. Folks will say to do the terminal command to enable a local account for MDM, but that has never worked for me.

What I end up doing is logging into it with an AD account, and then it wil download or be available from self service if I specified that.

I really wish Apple and JAMF would just let us assign VPP apps to machines, not to accounts.

PatCMP
New Contributor III

Same issue here, VPP device based deployments not working. Just says item failed and opens the Mac App store.. 10.13.4 and device is enrolled through DEP.

rustymyers
New Contributor II

Also having the same issues. DEP Macs are not installing VPP apps automatically. We were going to rely on this heavily this Fall and it's pretty disappointing to hear this is now broken.

Michael_Meyers
Contributor

Same thing is happening to me on 10.12.6 Macs. Says install failed and opens Mac App Store.

chrisgrande
New Contributor II

Having this same issue, apps list as scoped but never install.

Adding to Self Service and installing from there worked however...

jlockman
New Contributor II
Posted: 4/11/18 at 3:48 PM by mccallister JAMF has always had issues pushing VPP apps to local accounts. Folks will say to do the terminal command to enable a local account for MDM, but that has never worked for me. What I end up doing is logging into it with an AD account, and then it wil download or be available from self service if I specified that.

I just ran into this and thanks for this post. I'm migrating to JAMF and had this problem with my previous MDM and just assumed it was its own problem. As soon as I logged out of my local admin account and into an AD account VPP apps deploy as intended. Will add this note for our techs as we migrate machines this summer.

joelsenders
New Contributor III

Not sure if it is the same issue, but I am trying to push apps out to Macs running 10.12.6, and I receive this error on the client Mac when forcing updates through Settings > Computer Management > App Updates:

AMD- Action:volumeStoreDownloadProduct:SP

with options "cancel" or "retry". Clicking either just refreshes the message. Restarting makes it go away, but if I force updates again it will come back.

Michael_Meyers
Contributor
Posted: 4/11/18 at 3:48 PM by mccallister JAMF has always had issues pushing VPP apps to local accounts. Folks will say to do the terminal command to enable a local account for MDM, but that has never worked for me. What I end up doing is logging into it with an AD account, and then it wil download or be available from self service if I specified that. I just ran into this and thanks for this post. I'm migrating to JAMF and had this problem with my previous MDM and just assumed it was its own problem. As soon as I logged out of my local admin account and into an AD account VPP apps deploy as intended. Will add this note for our techs as we migrate machines this summer.

This was the solution Jamf gave me for the issue. It works consistently, but I have to scope the Apps to machines with no limitations or exceptions. I guess they figure if we scope an App to a computer that anyone should have the ability to install it...including a student. :(

listec
New Contributor III

I too am very frustrated with this. My VPP apps for iOS are installed just fine, but the VPP apps for OSX will not install. This is making me want to look for a different MDM!

Brian

tomhastings
Contributor II

I have see this problem as well, just not with every Mac and not with every app. Yesterday I had three Macs that just would not install one particular app. After lots of troubleshooting, I rebooted may Jamf server. All three Macs installed the app in moments.

Errors I saw: Apple App Store launches, spinning installing wheel in Self Service, all machine inventory management status shows Pending, Self Service reports that it can't communicate with the Jamf Server even though other apps will install.

I opened a case with Jamf yesterday and I recommend you do the same. More troubleshooting data may solve the problem sooner.

kstrick
Contributor III

I have heard that Jamf Pro 10.7 will have device assignment via VPP...
You won't even need a logged in User.

Hoping this works as advertised, it will make us all happy.

tomhastings
Contributor II

After working with support we discovered many SQL errors that we repaired. All of my apps are now installing without any problems.

rhooper
Contributor III

I am attempting the Mojave OS and see what breaks and what does not. All our devices have the VPP in JSS, we have over 2500 licenses available to us. We used to be able to launch Self Service and install MacApps like Numbers, Pages, Keynote, Etc. Since this update to Mojave it is once again asking for an AppleID on each device that needs the software.
Was there something I missed on how this is supposed to be seamless migration?
Two screenshots that show what I Am getting for a prompt. I figure come to "The Nation" first then to JAMF buddy.
Thoughts Ideas, anything to try?

bc11b3ae7e1c48268d5a6fd64d95ffc3
8aa0e45a84e0410889b06760afe175bf

Aguiness
New Contributor III

I found that if you don’t make the Dep anrolment profile mandatory it will work I don’t know why but they need to be an admin to remove anyway

Damon_Byg
New Contributor III

I was experiencing the same issues as everyone else. I remotely logged into my JSS server and ran the MySQL commands to repair and optimize the database. Once that was completed I was able to download VPP apps from Self Service with no issues.

rhooper
Contributor III

@Damon.Byg Can you explain further these MySQL commands? Is this for the local distro or Cloud distro?

Still cannot get JSS to allow users to download these apps. The AppleID is valid, I can go in and see the apps sitting there waiting, I can go into JAMF cloud instance and see that we have many licenses available.

Damon_Byg
New Contributor III

These commands were for for a local distribution point. Don't know what needs to happen if your are using the JAMF cloud system.

I was having the same issues where I couldn't download any VPP apps to a recently re-imaged device. I logged into the windows server that is running our JSS. I opened up a command window and navigated to the MySQL folder on the drive. Depending on which version of MySQL you are running this path might be different.

cd C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.6in

mysqlcheck -u root -p --repair jamfsoftware
mysqlcheck -u root -p --optimize jamfsoftware

After typing in the password for the root user or the user that has access to the database. It automatically ran until it was done. Once both commands were ran from the command prompt my VPP apps started downloading from the App Store with no issues.

EUC600
New Contributor III

Thanks! I was having this exact same problem and the --repair and --optimize commands fixed it for me as well.

Looks like you have to close and re-open Self Service after running those but it seems to work fine afterwards so far.

GregE
Contributor

Also having the same issue and am working with support to try and resolve it.
We have Apple Configurator 2 purchased via VPP assigned to a specific user group that logs in to Self Service to install it. We've been using that Mac App Store App for years now without any issue (only 30 licenses of 999 being used).

Have tried with local admin account and admin Active Directory account, have tried with Sierra DEP device, and Mojave non-DEP device, but it constantly throws "Self Service cannot connect to the Jamf Pro server. Try connecting again". Even though any other package application deployed via Policy will work fine.

We're on Jamf Cloud too rather than on-prem, so SQL repairs won't help. The JSS is showing my AD account as MDM enabled, so we're not getting far.

krismonier
New Contributor II

I made the mistake of clicking install twice, then the issue where App would fail to install and App Store would open kept occurring. My simple fix was to pick any other VPP app from Self Service, install it (even if I simply delete it later), then after "dummy" app was installed...the app failing to install would finally download and install like a charm.

DWilliams-cmsd
New Contributor III
JAMF has always had issues pushing VPP apps to local accounts. Folks will say to do the terminal command to enable a local account for MDM, but that has never worked for me. What I end up doing is logging into it with an AD account, and then it wil download or be available from self service if I specified that.

Was having the same issue -- VPP purchased Mac App Store apps not deploying through Self Service. Glad I found this thread. Logging out of local admin account and back in as an AD user allowed me to run the Self Service installs.