Mac App Store apps Updates

erichughes
Contributor II

Maybe I'm just new and being dumb but....How do I get my VPP purchased App Store apps to update? Also why do they still say "Get" in the Store? For example We are using the Microsoft To-Do app, Distributed from Jamf, Mac App Store apps only. It was recently updated but none of the scoped computers have received the update. Local computer setting for App Store updates is automatically install updates from the App Store. Jamf setting for the app is to Force update. We don't really want to force update if it's going to just do it and relaunch the app, especially for things like Microsoft Word. Users tend to complain when their apps relaunch in the middle of working. What am I missing?

11 REPLIES 11

BarSki
New Contributor II

Ok, I know this post is approaching the 1yr mark. But, I am experiencing a similar issue with getting automatic updates to work for computers following the information posted here - Mac App Store apps Updates. One other thing that I would like to throw out there, and this might solve my entire issue. Our apps are purchased through 'Apple School Manager' which is link to our JAMF site. We are able to publish apps purchased in self-service and users can install when ever they choose (without having an Apple ID). However, when apps not managed by our distribution management show that an update is available I cannot get these apps to update without logging into the App Store. Is this normal behavior? or Is there a simple solution?

fbatsl
New Contributor

Same issue here, the only way I see right now is for users to remove the app and reinstall it, then they get the latest version. What are we missing?

fbatsl
New Contributor

Ok apparently https://docs.jamf.com/10.1.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Mac_App_Store_App_Update_Settings.html needs to be enabled if you want users to receive updates. They can't install updates themselves. I've enabled this just now to see if it works.

stephaniemm77
Contributor

I am having the same issue as well, I have a lab full of machines that all have different versions of xcode on them. I have tried to force updates, yet they still will not update properly.

erichughes
Contributor II

VPP is generally broken, in my opinion. We use it for rolling out apps but use Patch management for updates generally. When that isn't an option I script removal of the app in question and that will allow the App Store to add it back automatically (most times) as the most current version. Not optimal.

stephaniemm77
Contributor

I agree I have been through all the steps with support and they keep acting like I have a setting wrong, but I have been through them a thousand times. This lab in particular is an issue (game design) they always want everything most current as it can be and it I am constantly trying to force updates.

skypointer
New Contributor II

hi, i recently received a bunch of new macs that already have Mac App Store Apps like garageband, imovie, pages, numbers and keynote on them. no matter what my jss app update settings are, I cannot get these already installed apps to update automatically. the only way that I seem to be able to get the newest app versions on these machines is to delete all of those preinstalled apps and push them down again via self service. this seems like a hugely unnecessary step. am I missing something? does anyone know of a better workflow?

JJT
New Contributor II

Same issue here, none of my Mac App Store apps update automatically and don't update when I force the update either. It's been like this for too long.

erichughes
Contributor II

Pretty sure that is exactly what you will have to do @skypointer You can automate it a bit with a script to remove the preinstalled versions and then let the VPP app get reinstalled. I think the issue is that the JSS only updates app that are installed with the specific VPP Apple ID you used to add them in Apple Business manager. We have a similar issue where users login with their own Apple ID and download Slack for instance, and then never update it on their own. We than have to remove it and let the VPP add it back once we put them in the right scope to receive it. Once its there that way it will update itself unless it just doesn't for whatever reason. See this thread for that kind of nightmare. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/31057/vpp-redownload-call-timed-out-mdmclienterror-72

skypointer
New Contributor II

@erichughes Thank you for confirming that. I'll remove those apps and push them back via Self Service.

dbrady
New Contributor

So did that process work? I'm having the same issue.