Mac App Store Apps / VPP Content Not Deploying

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Need some help figuring out deployment of Mac App Store apps that I obtained a VPP license for. Scratching my head as the apps won't deploy and in the computers I scoped to, there are no "pending commands". Hoping this is really easy!

In the JSS, I select Mac Store Apps and then add Pages. Distro method is set for "Install Automatically..", I have it scoped to 1 computer as a test and have the VP option checked off in the VPP tab. Sit and wait, check in time passes and nada, no app installed. WTH am I overlooking?

Thanks, Tom

From the Guide:
"Distribute a Mac App Store App
When you distribute a Mac App Store app, you configure settings for the app and specify the users and computers that should receive it (called “scope”).
1. Log in to the JSS with a web browser.
2. Click Computers at the top of the page.
3. Click Mac App Store Apps.
On a smartphone or iPod touch, this option is in the pop-up menu.
4. ClickNew .
5. Enter the name of the app, choose an App Store country, and click Next.
6. Click Add for the app you want to add.
7. Verify the settings on the General pane.
8. Click the Scope tab and configure the scope of the app.
9. Click Save.
The app is distributed the next time computers in the scope contact the JSS."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TomDay

@drest Your reply reminded me that I forgot to come and update this post as I figured out this issue yesterday!

In the scope for the Mac Store App I had "Specific Computers" for Target Computers and "All Users" for Target Users. I flipped "All Users" to "Specific Users" and it immediately worked. See attached! 56a96de8c4e949bfbeee7e6f0bf218b2

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

drest
New Contributor II

Does the app appear in the VPP Content tab (Global Management > VPP Accounts > account name > Content)? We had some issues assigning apps and I had to Update Purchased Content several times before the apps were listed as available to distribute.

TomDay

@drest Your reply reminded me that I forgot to come and update this post as I figured out this issue yesterday!

In the scope for the Mac Store App I had "Specific Computers" for Target Computers and "All Users" for Target Users. I flipped "All Users" to "Specific Users" and it immediately worked. See attached! 56a96de8c4e949bfbeee7e6f0bf218b2

skinford
Contributor III

Good morning, May I ask both of you @TomDay & @drest a question of this post?

I have done all the proper steps and and setup install method to "Install automatically/Prompt user to install" and they will not install automatically but sit in Self Service waiting to be installed. I would like to have them installed on the selected systems so when a Student logs in it they are there and ready for their use.

I appreciate any tips either of you might have.

Have a great day!

nomeelnoj
New Contributor III

@skinford I have found that when scoping a Mac App Store app to a single device, the JSS fails to install it, either automatically or via Self Service. For us, what I have had to do for scoping to a single device is actually create a static computer group and drop the desired device into that group. Then, scope the app to that specific computer group. This worked IMMEDIATELY after weeks of a Mac App Store install failing on one of our Mac Minis...

gokoudes
New Contributor III

@jon.leemon Cheers, big time for this. I'd wondered why our one-off Mac VPP device-assigned apps were not working. Creating a static group for the one target client machine did the trick! Sharing with our group now