Mac App Store error "Anisette Provisioning Failed"

JevermannNG
Contributor II

Hey,

I am getting the above error message when I try to enroll Jamf Pro into a macOS 13.3.1 Virtual Machine.

There are several MS Office Apps scoped to this Mac but the download/installation will not start.

Installing MAS Apps on the Mac Host and other Jamf Pro Clients work like expected, any thoughts on this issue?

Thank you!

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-17 um 11.43.49.png

9 REPLIES 9

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I suggest opening a ticket with Apple, JAMF does not officially support Virtual Machines so lord only knows how it will behave. There are a lot of nuances for Apple Services based on how the macOS VM is setup, you miss one identifier and Apple services break.

On a side note. Don't deploy MS Office from the AppStore. Get the Office packages from https://macadmins.software, and setup Microsoft Auto Updater. You will never need to check back on Office beyond occasionally updating the packages in JAMF for new installs (I do this quarterly). 

Mh, this is strange because it worked in the past. Maybe it is a macOS 13.3.1 VM issue, I will set up a new VM with an older macOS Version. I use UTM and VirtualBuddy to create the VMs.

Well, MAU is a different story ... for some reason we decided to go with the Mac App Store Versions.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@JevermannNG You need to re-evaluate the decision to use MAS Office apps, what does _not_ work well in terms of keeping the apps updated.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@JevermannNG Is this an Apple Silicon VM? It's not possible to sign in to an Apple ID on an Apple Silicon VM so that may also preclude installing a MAS app.

And as @AJPinto mentioned, you really really really don't want to be deploying the MAS versions of Microsoft Office apps. See the "Common Issues" section on this page for examples of why: https://macadmins.software/mas/

The Host is a MBP M1 and I am pretty sure that it worked with an macOS Version prior 13.3.1 ... will check with an older macOS Version and come back.

Thank you all for the swift response!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@JevermannNG It is currently impossible to assign a valid serial number to a macOS VM running on Apple Silicon (it requires support in Apple's virtualization framework, and it currently is not an option)

@sdagley  please can you explain how this effects the Mac App Store download?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@JevermannNG I don't know if it'll impact an MDM installed app, but for  user to install an App Store app they have to be signed in with an Apple ID. That isn't currently possible with a macOS VM on an Apple Silicon Mac.

JevermannNG
Contributor II

It turned out that it works fine under macOS 13.1

A first setup with the macOS 13.4 Restore Image ran into the same issue.