mac os sonoma - authentication issues - getting external IP in office

Jawalker
New Contributor II

I have a few examples now and can confirm, "in my environment", Mac OS Sonoma is causing authentication issues in my offices over Wi-Fi. I have my networking team assisting me trying to find the solution. 

Most of my Mac environment is on Monterey, Catalina, with a few new devices running Sonoma. All Sonoma devices are not receiving an internal ip and forcing them to a 192.168 external IP.

We do have a network access control system in place - ClearPass - we are using this to block external devices on the network.

ClearPass provides complete visibility into users, devices, and applications across the entire network. This allows for the creation of detailed access policies that provide granular control over which users have access to which devices and applications.

Does anyone know if Sonoma OS causes changes to the network settings, configuration, authentication, etc. on the device? 

I had a device that was profiled in clearpass running Monterey and the moment I upgraded the OS we stopped getting an internal IP.

Any assistance helps!

Thank you! #JAMFNATION

3 REPLIES 3

Jawalker
New Contributor II

Update: I have dug into ClearPass logs and found the device is being listed as a cellphone instead of a laptop.

In our environment users can connect to our Corp Wifi but it will give them internet access only and no internal access (192.168..) so by design we want user's cellphones unable to access internal sites and etc.

Why is it when we upgrade to Sonoma it changes the way it is classified by device type?

This device was profiled and should authenticate properly. There must have been some change on the network end with this OS..

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

What does the ClearPass system shows as the profile for your macOS Sonoma systems, and/or has ClearPass released an update for macOS Compatibility?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

Apple updates macOS regularly, and service providers release updates to accommodate changes to macOS. Sonoma did make changes to the network stack, though not significant changes. It sounds like your organization has not updated your support tools to keep up with macOS changes. I would suggest reviewing your ClearPass policies and consulting the vendor for assistance. Odds are you guys need to update a policy to look for relevant information with macOS Sonoma in mind.

On an unrelated note. For the love of God, get rid of Catalina. Apple stopped supporting that OS years ago, and it is full of currently exploited vulnerabilities. Monterey also runs out of support later this year.