Mac Store Apps only push install when admin logged in?

metalfoot77
Contributor II

I am trying to push (all free) apps from the Mac App Store (like pages, numbers etc). I have them scoped properly and it hands out the appropriate licenses from VPP account that I have associated. However, the apps never actually begin installing until I log into the target machine with the local admin account. Is this normal or am I missing something in the way this apps are setup?

4 REPLIES 4

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Look at your 'MDM Capable Users' for those computers (first screen of inventory), it will most likely be administrator plus any AD accounts you have logged into the Mac with (if bound).

metalfoot77
Contributor II

I took a look and all my computers that are managed are listed as having an MDM Capable User of my admin account. Is there a way to have this so it just installs these Mac Store Apps without a logged in user? Or conversely any AD bound user that logs in?

Look
Valued Contributor III

VPP install at login window is slated for release in JAMF 10.7 at present I think (hopefully that means the end of the year).
Outside of that it should work with ANY logged in user, although they should all be adding to MDM Capable Users at login as well, at least that is how our environment seems to be working.

metalfoot77
Contributor II

Ok so if I understand this right, there is no way to ensure that VPP apps are pushed and installed prior to a new user logging into the machine? We have a lab environment and I'd rather have the software be pre-installed than have to have a user wait for it to install before they can use it. I also don't want to have to log into every single machine and babysit the installation of these VPP apps.

It appears that the MDM Capable Users fields get populated with every username that logs into the machine. Is that correct?