MacBooks with USB-C and Target Boot Imaging

strider_knh
Contributor II

Has anyone tried to image one of these laptops using Target Boot Mode? We do not have any of these yet and I am curious with the fact there isn't a Thunderbolt port, which is the way it has been done for a number of years now.

We are going to try and move towards DEP for our MacBooks but some times that Target Boot imaging is useful or just to access something on the HDD.

3 REPLIES 3

duffcalifornia
Contributor

While I can't speak to imaging using Imaging, I can say that doing data transfers to them from another Mac requires a third computer to act as a host, a USB-A to USB-C cable to connect the MacBook to the host, and the Push Migration tool.

You might try doing something that like that: Connect the machine with Imaging to the host via Thunderbolt, connect the Macbook via A to C cable, find the Push Migration tool, then open Imaging on your computer and see if it's recognized by Imaging.

Jakov
New Contributor III

You can use Target-disk on a MacBook (2015/6) as long as the other machine is also a MacBook 2015/6.
It is not possible to connect USB-C to FW or TB via Target-disk mode.

mjsanders
New Contributor III

With the correct USB-C to USB-A (male) cable you can use the MacBook 12" in Target disk mode, and it will show similar as an external USB disk to any Mac with USB. Some USB C-A cables are for charging only, others include data.
I have one through Apple GSX, and that works for target imaging (with tools like Filewave Lightning).
The mentionded Push Migration tool is needed to migrate stuff TO the new macbook.