macOS 10.12.4 upgrade via Self Service fails

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

hey guys, anyone else seeing this error when trying to create a macOS upgrade via Self Service?

Executing Policy Install macOS Sierra Upgrade
Installing macOS 10.12.4 Installer.dmg...
Preparing for in-place OS upgrade...
Failed to copy file to the install data folder. Failed to copy /Volumes/OS X Base System/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/brtool to /OS X Install Data/brtool: The file “brtool” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file.
Closing package...

This doesn't work with 9.97 and 9.98. The installer was created via dragging and dropping the downloaded macOS App Store installer into Casper Admin, as always.

Was there anything changed with the 10.12.4 installer which Jamf wasn't aware of?

92 REPLIES 92

jconte
Contributor II

Now my 10.12.3 is doing the same thing and this was working fine last week. What gives ?

Failed to copy /Volumes/OS X Base System/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/brtool to /OS X Install Data/brtool: The file “brtool” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file

Anyone with advice or info is greatly appreciated

gzilla13
New Contributor III

Has anyone tried it with 9.100?

jowbaldw
New Contributor II

Broke for me as well. 10.12.3 was working running 9.100

jowbaldw
New Contributor II

So I followed this today.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s398/sh/bec8a262-e33d-4ad9-80fa-05b939db6d8d/f4ca396a63caa510

I downloaded a new copy of the sierra.app. Set it to push periodically. I then made the script.

You can run the script from the Self Service and everything reboots and installs like it should from 10.11.6 or it did once. Now for some reason it is not doing that.

The issue is that I cannot run the script from the Casper Remote Suite. It fails and nothing else happens. No restart. Nothing.

Maybe the script can be edited.

jowbaldw
New Contributor II

So after being frustrated all day I just deleted all of my 10.12.6 policies, packages, and groups. Followed this example with an older copy of 10.12.3 and it worked. Now I will just force the systems to push new software at night to get to the 10.12.6 level I wanted until there is a better process.

https://resources.jamf.com/documents/technical-papers/Deploying-OS-X-v10.7-or-Later-with-the-Casper-Suite.pdf

WUSLS
New Contributor

So... I just tried this with my environment and I am running into the same thing. This thread started 5 months ago. Any real fix coming at all, or do we have to use some bubble gum and bailing wire? THANKS!!!

WUSLS
New Contributor

DUPLICATE

JBartkowiak
New Contributor II

Having the same issue of "Failed to copy file to the install data folder. Failed to copy /Volumes/OS X Base System/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/brtool to /OS X Install Data/brtool: The file “brtool” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file."

Running JSS 9.100.0-t1499435238 with this setup: http://docs.jamf.com/technical-papers/casper-suite/deploying-osx/Deploying_an_OS_X_Upgrade.html

Like everyone above was working and I want to say that it broke at 10.12.5.

Any updates with this? I Love the Idea of being able to cache it ahead because some staff do not have great home internet.(Yes that is still a thing I know. :) ) So I am able to set it to download when they are on site. It has been awesome, but I am looking at doing a mass update push and without this it seems trouble some.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

JBartkowiak
New Contributor II

Having the same issue of "Failed to copy file to the install data folder. Failed to copy /Volumes/OS X Base System/Install macOS Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/brtool to /OS X Install Data/brtool: The file “brtool” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file."

Running JSS 9.100.0-t1499435238 with this setup: http://docs.jamf.com/technical-papers/casper-suite/deploying-osx/Deploying_an_OS_X_Upgrade.html

Like everyone above was working and I want to say that it broke at 10.12.5.

Any updates with this? I Love the Idea of being able to cache it ahead because some staff do not have great home internet.(Yes that is still a thing I know. :) ) So I am able to set it to download when they are on site. It has been awesome, but I am looking at doing a mass update push and without this it seems trouble some.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

I am afraid that duct tape and bailing wire is necessary...

I am using the script linked in this Jamf post with good success (after it has been updated a few times by Jamf). Here is a direct link to github.

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

@mottertektura If you want to fork that on GitHub and add that in, I have not problem making that change. Just please do a fresh fork to reduce chances of conflicts and once I see the Pull Request come through I will approve it. Thanks!

Also, for this looking for a native (Jamf / Casper Admin) In-Place Upgrade method, take a look at the beta of v9.101 and if you use VPP, that is also a possibility of using VPP to push out the installer. However with VPP you can't pre-cache the installer, so a caching server is highly recommended.

Rosko
Contributor II
Contributor II

@mottertektura I've added your fix along with a couple others in the latest release.

https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade/releases/tag/v2.2

ACG
New Contributor

Hello, Can this run with no user logged in?