macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update Released!

ClassicII
Contributor III

Apple just released a new Supplemental for macOS Catalina 10.15.4!

Included with this update is a new Full installer.app, BridgeOS, Combo and Delta Updates.

https://mrmacintosh.com/catalina-10-15-4-supplemental-update-19e287-released/

28 REPLIES 28

CommandShiftK
New Contributor III

how is this update handled in patch management?

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

On the 3 computers that have upgraded to the 10.15.4 Supplemental, we have noticed the name of the computer is now "iMac". Prior to the update, the name of the computer is a specific name. Anyone else seeing their computer names become generic?

wmehilos
Contributor

Made 10.15.4 even worse on my 2018 MBP. The full lockups every time I wake from a long sleep are getting pretty tedious. Lost my entire keychain today during a hard reset.

danny_gutman
New Contributor III

@bryantdresher, I have not noticed this, my computer name is the same.

I also have not had a crash since updating to supplemental or have trouble waking from sleep.

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

We have seen machines get renamed too from username-XXX to MacBook Pro

C

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

Discovered another issue with the 10.15.4 supplemental update. The contents of /Library/Logs is being altered by the update. This includes Sophos log history which is now gone, @marc_grubb . We also use this directory to record several log files related to management operations we perform. That directory looks like its basically reset to default now with all log files gone. Hey, that ain't cool Apple to remove our log files and other data with an update. What else is being impacted without our knowledge?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@bryantdresher It sounds like Apple's dislike of existing log files continues, but it's not new in 10.15.4: 10.15.3 Update Erases /var/log Files – System, Custom & Vendor Logs

ClassicII
Contributor III

@bryantdresher @gachowski Thanks for posting that, I just confirmed the Computer Name and the Host Name are getting reset back to default after the Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update! Time to write another article :

Also thank you for posting the link about the logs @sdagley. Sadly this confirms that the logs are getting blown away 2 updates later :(

@danny.gutman Do you set the Computer Name value with a configuration profile ? Maybe the profile is protecting it from the change. I think everyone else is setting it with a scutil and a script.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Applied the 10.15.4 Supplemental Update to a test laptop a couple days ago.

Didn't see a change in ComputerName or HostName, but yea confirming that /private/var/log/ directory definitely got purged.

Opening a ticket with Jamf since either/both of those issues would impact our environment, the second might just piss off our Security team (even if unified logging is a thing).

--
https://donmontalvo.com

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Apple confirmed the /private/var/log/ issue (101063983106) but have not been able to replicate the ComputerName/HostName issue. They advised if anyone is able to replicate, open a ticket so they can look into it.

--

shaquir
Contributor III

For the users with the ComputerName/HostName issue, have your machines ever been bound to AD?

ClassicII
Contributor III

@donmontalvo do you use local accounts? Maybe @shaquir is on to something about it only affecting AD bound Macs.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@ClassicII and @shaquir our computers are bound to AD. Haven't been able to reproduce the naming issue.

Curious now if 10.15.4 is doign the expected snapshot...hmm...now I'll be dreaming about it. #late

--

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

"No." - Ryan Reynolds

b52fed73c349405a9c6b8490a58c810a

--

ClassicII
Contributor III

@bryantdresher @gachowski

The systems that had the computer name change back to default, were they NON T2 Macs?

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

@ClassicII

In my case they were all non T2 Macs. iMacs (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) and one VMware Virtual machine running on VMware Fusion 11.5.1.

shaquir
Contributor III

This morning I had a full machine lockup. I assume this is what @wmehilos may have experienced. Startup apps stayed in a bouncing state. It occurred in both my standard and Admin profiles. Apps were okay in Safe Mode.

If the App managed to open, they would usually flicker constantly (contained to just the app):
8aa5fe52b93f4710b12333a147fc662d

I "resolved" this by booting into recovery and running first aid. (I got a Kernel panic later today, but I believe it is unrelated)

2017 15" MBP I was on the 10.15.4 build from 3/25/20
I updated to the supplemental update (19E287) through the Software Update section in System Preferences on 4/12/20

I'm hoping they patch this soon, but I plan on holding off on 10.15.4 in my environment.

anino
New Contributor

¿How do manage updates from patch management?

bootrec
Contributor

Found this post after searching for "computer name change after 10.15.4 supplemental update". I don't use jamF, but wanted to chip in here to let you know that I just updated my computer with the 10.15.4 supplemental update and the ComputerName did change back to the computer model, MacBook Pro, instead of our asset number format it had prior.

Computer is not connected to AD, is managed by MDM (not jamF) and Apple School Manager.

danny_gutman
New Contributor III

This is related to Power Nap. Turned it off, haven't crashed since. Apparently, I've hear 10.15.5 Beta fixes this.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@danny.gutman wow, hopefully its fixed in the next release, although surprised Apple hasn't pulled the update, since I read in other places that it is causing problems. #sadface

--

mpi
New Contributor III

Installed 10.15.5 today and had my computer name reset back to the default. Looks like this is not fixed.. anyone else having this issue post install?

bryantdresher
New Contributor III

Yes, I can confirm this on all machines that have taken 10.15.5. Literally dumbfounded… At Apple, quality has fallen off the edge. Seriously, Unicode delayed updates to new emojis; fix the bugs that matter. If it sounds like I'm frustrated, your senses are working. Please work with us and understand the pain you (Apple) are causing.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Same for me - updated from 10.15.4 to 10.15.5 - took me a while to twig. Must have missed this post. Glad it wasn't me that caused it.

I've created a policy to run

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Update"

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Also wanted to say - this is in no way JAMF related. My final test was on a clean internet recovery imaged machine, not AD joined - just named. It was not a DEP machine and it was not enrolled in the JAMF Pro server. I built it some weeks ago and it had 10.15.4 on it. I ran the available update and the update it installed was 10.15.5. Before the reboot I checked the name and it was correct. I watched the machine using ARD and its name changed to "iMac" during the restart process where it finishes the update - ARD reports the machine name when connected.

I probably should add that the machines in question were not new and are iMac's. An example one is iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

SGill
Contributor III

Saw the same things here. It didn't happen to macs that started out having 10.15.3 or earlier, interestingly.

dlondon
Valued Contributor

Here's another example:
Macbook Air (11inch Mid 2012)
2 GHz Dual Core Intel i7
10.15.4 (19E287)

ran the available update - Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5 update

Now it's on 10.15.5 (19F101) and after the update the machines name has changed and now is called "Macbook Air"

This is a totally unmanaged Mac

mpi
New Contributor III

FYI it looks like they finally addressed it. Release notes for 10.15.6: Fixes an issue where the computer name may change after installing a software update

Ran the update on my machine (which was hit by the last 2 upgrades and no issue)