MacOS in Parallels with Jamf DEP

nikhil_sniper
New Contributor

I am trying to capture how DEP works in Jamf. For that I am using Parallels Desktop to run a virtual Mac OS Ventura 13.4.

During the Setup assistant, it is stuck in the remote management and it is not moving for the next page.

I can go back, reset and start without DEP. When the device assigned to Jamf, it is not moving to next page.

Is there anything I am missing out.

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Automated Device Enrollment (what JAMF calls DEP) all uses Apples API. The Automated Device Enrollment process for a VM vs physical device should be the same. However, keep in mind that JAMF does not support VM's and not all of Apples services and functions work on VM's. 

There are two places I would check to gather information.

• JAMF System Logs - look for the enrollment logs to see if JAMF is logging any errors.
  • MacOS Logs - Open Console from the Setup Screen and read the various logs to see if you can identify issues.

To open Console and Terminal from Setup, use the following keyboard commands.

CTL + OPTION + CMD + T (for Terminal)
CTL + OPTION + CMD + C (for Console)

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

An additional caveat to testing ADE/DEP in a VM is that there currently isn't a mechanism to use Apple Silicon VMs because Apple's VM framework for Apple Silicon does not allow setting the serial number of the VM.

Bol
Valued Contributor