macOS Monterey (12.3) - standard users cannot enable Screen Recording for Teams in Privacy pane

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hey all, I'm running into an odd issue that wasn't a problem under macOS Big Sur, but is now under Monterey. I'm not sure if this is a brand new issue with 12.3 or if it was always an issue with older versions of Monterey. I hadn't noticed it before any Monterey systems got upgraded to 12.3.

Basically I used to direct end users to enable the "Screen Recording" option in Big Sur in the Privacy tab of the Security & Privacy preference pane, for things like Microsoft Teams, so they can share their screen in the application. This was never an issue like I said. All our users are non-admins and they had access to this option without needing admin rights.

Now with Monterey this option is greyed out unless they unlock the Security & Privacy pref pane, which of course they can't do, nor do we want them to be able to do.

Has anyone else seen this with 12.3 or any version of Monterey? If so, have you figured out a solution? I was under the impression Apple didn't allow for enabling this option in a config profile, but my information may be outdated. If the preferred method to do this now is with a profile, can someone point me to the correct option to use? I'm not seeing anything obvious on how to enable this in a profile. Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

You can use a PPPC profile to allow standard users to enable screen recording and any other user controlled app privacy settings. 

The PPPC utility makes this an easy process. You just need to get the correct options enabled & upload the profile. Forewarning though you might need to check this profile and click edit on each app or service entry to make sure the access field is displaying correctly. Once checked you can scope it to your endusers. 

View solution in original post

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Haven't seen this problem in Monterey. Our PPPC enablement for Big Sur to allow standard to allow is still working without issue to my knowledge. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mm2270 Screen Recording still requires user consent in 12.3, with no option to pre-enable via Configuration Profile. What software are you using for Privilege Management? I'd venture a guess that it's not compatible with 12.3 if it's not allowing users to access the Privacy tab to enable Screen Recording. 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

You can use a PPPC profile to allow standard users to enable screen recording and any other user controlled app privacy settings. 

The PPPC utility makes this an easy process. You just need to get the correct options enabled & upload the profile. Forewarning though you might need to check this profile and click edit on each app or service entry to make sure the access field is displaying correctly. Once checked you can scope it to your endusers. 

andrew_nicholas
Valued Contributor

Haven't seen this problem in Monterey. Our PPPC enablement for Big Sur to allow standard to allow is still working without issue to my knowledge. 

mm2270

Actually I found out how to do this. It is an option now in a Configuration Profile to allow non admin users to enable it. You need to use the Screen Recording option in a PPPC profile. Here's what mine looks like that I just created a minute ago. Tested and confirmed it unlocks the option in the Security & Privacy pref pane. I somehow overlooked this before.

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.10.01 PM.png

mm2270

Thanks @mainelysteve and @andrew_nicholas ! (@sdagley as well) I completely forgot about that option. For some reason I thought I already had it configured, but looks like I did not. Using that fixed the issue.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mm2270 Glad you figured that out, and apologies for reading your description as it was a new behavior in 12.3.

R_C
Contributor

This should make things easier. Preconfigured PPPC profile with entries for tons of apps that may request Screen Recording permissions:

https://github.com/poundbangbash/community-screenrecording-pppc-profile

machattan
New Contributor II

Anyone by chance having issues running 2 config profiles for the old and the new teams? The 2 don't seem to play nice together. com.microsoft.teams and com.microsoft.teams2