macOS Monterey - Patch Definition contains all macOS versions unlike BigSur or Catalina definition

channy-cl
New Contributor III

Hi there,

I have tried to search for an answer but have not found anything relevant. 

We are wanted to use the patch definition to find computers that need security updates applied.

While Catalina and BigSur patch definition only contains their versions

Apple macOS Catalina: 10.15 (19A583) to 10.15.7 (19H2026)

Apple macOS Big Sur: 11.0.1 (20B29) to 11.7 (20G817)

Monterey contains all macOS versions 

Apple macOS Monterey: 10.9.0 to 12.6.0

This causes the UI to show more computers needing Monterey security updates than the number of computers actually running Monterey.

1. Why the definition of Monterey does not follow the same patters as Catalina or BigSur where they only show the versions application to their own.
  2. Will it be possible for Jamf to fix the definition for either Monterey or Catalina and BigSur so they follow the same pattern.

Note: We have used Smart Groups to find the actual numbers of computers needing security updates for Catalina, BigSur and Monterey individually.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@channy-cl You might want to delete your "Apple macOS Monterey" Patch Management configuration and then re-add it as I am only seeing 12.0 through 12.6 listed in that configuration on my JSS. The Patch Management configuration that shows all OS versions should be the one named "macOS". Is it possible someone added that definition to your JSS and then edited the name?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@channy-cl You might want to delete your "Apple macOS Monterey" Patch Management configuration and then re-add it as I am only seeing 12.0 through 12.6 listed in that configuration on my JSS. The Patch Management configuration that shows all OS versions should be the one named "macOS". Is it possible someone added that definition to your JSS and then edited the name?

channy-cl
New Contributor III

Thank you @sdagley, deleting and re-adding fixed the issue.

I had added the definition myself so highly likely I have done exactly what you mentioned but can't recall... learning continues :)