macOS Monterey update is showing up in System Preferences again after the 90 day deferral

cnixon14
New Contributor III

macOS Monterey update is showing up again in end users System Preferences after I had the 90 day deferral in Configuration Profiles but it has come back and is showing a notification on the Dock as well. I have the restricted software set up so the users can't install Monterey but I am trying to hide Monterey again like it has for the last 90 days. Is there a way to re-up the 90 day deferral? I have users asking me constantly about the update because it is not installing and they are confused if its available but not installing. Thank you for any help!

4 REPLIES 4

PatrickD
Contributor II

Apple has set the the maximum deferral to 90 days so there is really no way to extend that, unfortunately.

Prior to Big Sur you were able to use the following command to ignore a particular software update but this no longer works.

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore “<Software Update Name>”

I would recommend sending out comms to employees advising that Monterey is still being tested and evaluated by the IT team and you will let them know once it is available to install.

cnixon14
New Contributor III

Thank you for the response. I do have that command on all machines running Catalina but with new machines that were added to the network with Big Sur do not work with this command. 

JevermannNG
Contributor II

With the release of Big Sur came a new version of "softwareupdate".

Run "man softwareupdate" in the Terminal to see the details.

raymondap
Contributor

We've been struggling with this as well, and we've had many many meetings with both Jamf and Apple about it. We simply cannot update to Monterey until a critical app is compatible. Jamf has been helpful and doing the best they can within what Apple allows, but Apple flat out does not care and our rep has essentially told us that the blame lies with us and our software vendor for not being ready. Our users are frustrated, and that comes back on us. It's pretty bad. The limitations of managing Apple devices are encouraging us to move to Windows faster.

To me, it seems like it would be a minor change for Apple to allow longer deferral periods for MDM managed devices, but they are unwilling. If you have an Apple rep you can send feedback to, it might be worth doing.