macOS updates in Mac Apps

ganidran
New Contributor III

I noticed that our macOS Monterey app still shows an older version of the app (latest is 12.6.1 but shows 12.6). Is there a way to refresh it so it can grab the latest version or is this normal for macOS updates? All other apps are up to date. I don't want users updating to an outdated version only to have to update it again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

We need more background. My suggestion is to just deploy OS updates with MDM commands, despite how flawed that process is. 

If you are using the appstore to download the macOS installer, dont. The macOS installer is massive, and the AppStore workflow is prone to issues especially with larger files. That and Apple loves to do shifty stuff with macOS installers in the AppStore. Looks like the AppStore itself is showing macOS 12.6.1, but what JAMF can see through VPP is 12.6 an existing policy I have. Trying to make a new policy for Monterey and JAMF is not seeing it in the AppStore at all. I would not be shocked if Apple is not doing this on purpose. 

If you must deploy the delta for some reason. Download it to your device. Package it as a dmg and upload it to JAMF and deploy it as a normal policy. You could also use the softwareupdate command with fetchfullosinstaller to tell a Mac to download it directly, but I prefer deploying via policy over using softwareupdate to get it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

scottb
Honored Contributor

@ganidran - where are you seeing this?  On the user's Macs in Software Update?

Just knowing nothing about your setup, do you have any deferment policies/profiles setup?

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

We need more background. My suggestion is to just deploy OS updates with MDM commands, despite how flawed that process is. 

If you are using the appstore to download the macOS installer, dont. The macOS installer is massive, and the AppStore workflow is prone to issues especially with larger files. That and Apple loves to do shifty stuff with macOS installers in the AppStore. Looks like the AppStore itself is showing macOS 12.6.1, but what JAMF can see through VPP is 12.6 an existing policy I have. Trying to make a new policy for Monterey and JAMF is not seeing it in the AppStore at all. I would not be shocked if Apple is not doing this on purpose. 

If you must deploy the delta for some reason. Download it to your device. Package it as a dmg and upload it to JAMF and deploy it as a normal policy. You could also use the softwareupdate command with fetchfullosinstaller to tell a Mac to download it directly, but I prefer deploying via policy over using softwareupdate to get it.