Managed app configuration for macOS?

user-dIrrpGXxza
Contributor

We know that it's possible to set a managed app configuration for iOS apps. But how can you do that with macOS apps? Can't find anything in the docs or the Internet in general for that. Our specific use case is that we want to use JAMF Teacher on macOS. Since we have an on-prem JAMF pro, we need to distribute a managed app configuration with the JAMF teacher app. No problems on iOS. But with macOS..? There's no place to even insert any app config for macOS apps (I think this is a hybrid app if it matters). Any advice?

10 REPLIES 10

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sounds like a use case for the Application & Custom Settings payload, but Jamf Teacher isn't listed in either the Jamf Applications section or the Jamf Repository list for the External Applications section.  If you know the keys and options you need to configure, you may be able to create a custom JSON to upload.

The config set via the IOS config can be found in the doc (can't paste it here apparently):

https://docs.jamf.com/10.26.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Integrating_Jamf_Teacher_with_Jamf_Pro.ht...

I just don't see how that would translate to a JSON schema? But then again, I'm pretty new to this particular part of app configs, so perhaps someone here could make that into a JSON schema? :)

Were you ever able to make a custom profile?

Asking from the future.

user-dIrrpGXxza
Contributor

The (sad) answer is, that at least for JAMF teacher, macOS isn't a supported platform when used with JAMF Pro - confirmed this with support just now. Then, the secondary question, is if you can bundle app configuration for hybrid apps is still valid, so I leave this as (partially) unasnwered.

Hello,

I was just looking into this today, since Goodnotes is migrating to a paid model for Businesses, but still free for Education. They will be providing me an app config.

I found this:

3 years ago: "You can simply create a custom configuration profile for any app preference domain and distribute it via MDM. You can either use the app domain directly or the older MCX domain when targeting the Mac with settings."

one year ago: "Currently Mac should use Managed Preferences instead."

I will be testing as soon as I hear back from Goodnotes Support.

thank you,

chris

astrugatch
New Contributor III

Did anything come from this? I'm looking to do the same as the poster above.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

unfortunately, my ticket never went anywhere after the initial response. I'll update if/when I can! (This is for Mac, the iOS is done through App Config in the Catalog entry for that app)

astrugatch
New Contributor III

Yeah. macOS is what I'm looking for. I tried to make a custom profile with a PLIST with all the same <dict> entries, but it did nothing.

Hi, i have the same issue... iOS works as to Goodnotes support-pages, macOS not.

AdrienPi
New Contributor II

Same here, anyone find a solution to add the licence to GoodNotes for macOS ?