Managed Apple IDs

jrippy
Contributor II

Not directly related to Jamf, but for those of you working in Colleges and Universities, what are the benefits of managed Apple IDs for your users?  This is via SSO/Federation in Apple School Manager.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I am not EDU, but we have found very few uses for Managed AppleID's.

• You can assign Apps to them, and User Level Configuration Profiles, providing the user goes through the process of MDM enabling the account that log in to that AppleID with.
  • You have very few options to actually manage Managed AppleIDs and the data belonging to them.
  • You also cannot force an Apple device to only allow a Managed AppleID to log in.
  • There are other uses such as using Managed AppleIDs for device enrollment, but with ADE and not being BYOD, we have never needed that functionality.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I am not EDU, but we have found very few uses for Managed AppleID's.

• You can assign Apps to them, and User Level Configuration Profiles, providing the user goes through the process of MDM enabling the account that log in to that AppleID with.
  • You have very few options to actually manage Managed AppleIDs and the data belonging to them.
  • You also cannot force an Apple device to only allow a Managed AppleID to log in.
  • There are other uses such as using Managed AppleIDs for device enrollment, but with ADE and not being BYOD, we have never needed that functionality.

Thanks for your insight @AJPinto.  I also heard back from our Apple Sr. Engineer.  He said essentially for Colleges if you can avoid Managed Apple IDs, then avoid them.  He said there are one or two instances where they can be beneficial to a College system, but we (specifically) were not meeting the criteria for that.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

I support K-12. We use MAIDs primarily for the following purposes.

1) We provide the iPads and enroll them through DEP, so the iPads are supervised. Thus we can disable account changes after the MAID is signed in. Good for K-12.

2) When students are logged in with a MAID, their photos are backed up so their next iPad will have them, and in case they break their iPad.

3) 200 GB of space!

4) It is easy to assign paid apps and pull them back. 

For higher ed, I'm assuming you are BYOD? I agree I don't think there are any real advantages.

thanks,

chris