Managed Wi-Fi Profiles - Cannot Modify/Remove Once Deployed

rgrimm
New Contributor

Hi guys, I wanted to see if anyone has run into the situation we're seeing in our environment. We're in the process of configuring a managed Wi-Fi profile with an AD service account in conjunction with ClearPass. And that works just fine.

The issue that we're running into is Jamf or iOS appears to be permanently caching the managed Wi-Fi profile and the only way to correct it is by wiping the device. We cannot push a modified profile (with a different username or password) or even remove it. It's as if the device becomes unmanaged.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, what is the fix, if any. We've got nearly 1000 devices in the field and I can't wipe them every time we need to update the profile or remove it.

3 REPLIES 3

miregan
Contributor II

When you push the modified wifi profile to the iOS device, does the device get kicked off the network as a result?

rgrimm
New Contributor

Yes, it does get kicked off the network. In the JSS, we can see the old profile being removed and the new one being installed, however, the old profile (i.e. AD credentials) is still being used. If we perform "Reset All Network Settings" from the device, all network connectivity is lost and we have to wipe the device and re-enroll.

Graeme
Contributor

We have had many unpleasant experiences with Wireless profiles and devices dropping network connections before trying to download the new profile. Our process now is to create a new profile (cloning will do) and alter the new one to suit. Depending on the situation we sometimes create a smart group that removes the old profile after the new one is installed.

As a "by the way" we deploy two identical copies of the wireless profile as sometimes the devices seem to refresh the profile, which drops the network connection before it can download the fresh copy.

Regards
Graeme