Managing windows on a mac with JSS installed.

jgwatson
Contributor

Just wondering what program people use out there for this job. On the windows partition I need to be able to install programs, install updates, and things like printers etc. We don't have an AD server. Ideally the management side would be cloud based.

Thanks so much.

6 REPLIES 6

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Check out Microsoft InTune... cloud-based PC (and also mobile device) management:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/microsoft-intune/Features.aspx

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Something like Absolute Manage might work for you. I'm not sure of any open source options to be honest; our org was pretty Windows-centric before I joined our team so we just piggy-back off of the SCCM system that was put in place for our production servers. SCCM may be overkill if your Windows-base is small.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Oh lordy, @RobertHammen, we are using InTune now and hate it and can't wait to get rid of it…

jgwatson
Contributor

@emilykausalik why do you hate it? Thanks

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

The web portal is terrible and incredibly difficult to navigate. The built-in Endpoint Protection barely catches anything and we have to clean up almost every piece of malware or viruses seperately or hope Palo Alto picks it up before it hits the computer. It doesn't patch third party applications, and doesn't allow for ease of patching of the OS either. It doesn't auto-deploy. The support from Microsoft is terrible. It doesn't provide an imaging solution or any real management tools aside from basic machine visibility. The reporting is pathetically inaccurate and we can't reliably use it to grt inventory records, application inventory, or user info. I could go on...

From what I've heard, Intune was meant more for mobile decice management than actual laptop/end user machines. Which makes sense I guess. But we're so so happy to get rid of it. Bonus is that SCCM agent is included in the Windows User CAL, so we don't have to pay for that management tool seperately. Upside to Intune: Microsoft does it all, it's more hands-off. Downside to Intune: Microsoft does it all...

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

intune and sccm, sounds perfect for managing all the things, can do mac management and ios management right? ;)