Mass Action Update question

SMR1
Contributor III

I'm testing the Mass Action Update on a couple of Mac's. One is an Intel and the other is M1. They both have the 12.5 available update, but when I deploy the command to both, I don't see any prompts where it gives you options when to deploy it. It does show up under their device as pending, but goes away. For the M1, have the bootstrap token on our devices. For the Intel, it looked like it worked, because the Mac is now showing 12.5. Is there a log where I can look up to see if the command ran successfully? 

5 REPLIES 5

DTB_Kirky
New Contributor III
The only items your see will be in 'History', 'Management History' for each device in Jamf.
  • ScheduleOSUpdateScan
  • AvailableOSUpdates
  • ScheduleOSUpdate
But with no details as whether the user started the process or deferred until we see the device has updated.

I can't find any more granular logs than that (maybe someone else will)

SMR1
Contributor III

I've been working Jamf regarding the Mass Action Update not working. I have a test M1 that I've ran the mass update using download and install and restart 3 time in the last 2 weeks with it failing. I do the update is available. I also see the update is available via terminal. After the 3 commands above complete, the update notification goes away and it says my mac is up to date, but it never updates. You can run sudo sysdiagnose and it'll output a log file. They're telling me that Jamf is deploying the command correctly,  but the Mac is not updating. They said it looks like an issue with connecting to the Apple Servers. They said the same thing on my intel test Mac, but I was able to manually run the update, so I don't think it's a connection issue.

DTB_Kirky
New Contributor III

You might want to try this on the failed device, it will reset your softwareupdate; it had fixed a lot of my devices in the past couple of months.

rm "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist"

launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated

SMR1
Contributor III
Unfortunately, we've tried that command with no luck. It's weird because we can manually run the updates, but when pushing out the commands they don't run. The logs see it, but it won't install.

SMR1
Contributor III

Could there be a setting or something within Jamf that is causing the error that says you need an internet connection? We're getting this on our Intel and M1 Mac's and it doesn't matter how you're connected. I updated my personal Mac at home with no issues, but with my Jamf Mac, it said it needs an internet connection.