McAfee Encryption For Macs

KMak84
Contributor

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this done in there environment yet. I am not convinced about this as FV2 works well regardless, without the McAfee bloatware.

Any experiences please do share.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

ericbenfer
Contributor III

As if they were a swarm of bees, you should stay away from third party full disk encryption solutions.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

McAfee's encryption product, called MNE (McAfee Native Encryption) is simply using the OS built in FileVault enablement tools and capturing the Recovery key to its servers, so basically the same thing Jamf has already done for years now. I wouldn't bother using it if you have Jamf Pro already enabling FV2 and capturing the keys.
McAfee ditched their actual home grown disk encryption product for the Mac some years ago, and good riddance, as it was simply horrible.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@mm2270 - but might the McAfee product run with their console? That's where you might get stuck having to use it in a company request if so. Some places love that...

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Sure, that would be the only reason to use it - specifically if your InfoSec folks require that the individual recovery keys are escrowed into something they manage. If so, then you can use it. But, while I've never had to implement it thank goodness, my understanding is it's not as reliable as Jamf's method. I know, I know, such a shock that something McAfee puts out is not completely reliable!

scottb
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I know. We have a client on McAfee AV and it's a PITA. And every time I get some new request for InfoSec sfw, I cringe.
We have one that seems to want to install every Mac product they can find. This will no doubt prove entertaining when nothing works on the client Macs...

KMak84
Contributor

I'm very sceptical of this & believe not to use this product. Worrying times!!