MDMClient Error:72

mh314
New Contributor

Hi Everyone -

I've been struggling with a computer for a good portion of this morning. I'm trying to push an app from the Mac App Store and have it assign VPP content to the computer.

I've tried everything I can think of, including removing the MDM profile, re-reconign, sudo jamf enroll, etc...... and yes turning it off and back on again.

Here is the full error: "VPP redownload call timed out <MDMClientError:72>"

It just seems strange.... I tested pushing this app to another computer and it works totally fine and assigns the VPP content as it is supposed to.

I tried looking this error up online without any luck. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for moving forward?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RogerH
Contributor II

@mh314 I just had this issue as well the fix I got from jamf is to revoke all licenses this WIL NOT uninstall any apps. Go into your VPP settings and click the revoke all button at the bottom of the screen. it may take 3-5 minutes to complete. Then clear any failed pushes.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

msw
Contributor

I'm also getting this error when trying to automatically install or prompt user to install VPP apps. Looking for any info if anyone has run into this before

NPU-Casper
New Contributor III

Just got this error today? Anyone resolve this issue?

Thanks!

bjonesrbh
New Contributor

Im currently getting this error also. Anyone find anything on it?

RogerH
Contributor II

@mh314 I just had this issue as well the fix I got from jamf is to revoke all licenses this WIL NOT uninstall any apps. Go into your VPP settings and click the revoke all button at the bottom of the screen. it may take 3-5 minutes to complete. Then clear any failed pushes.

RogerH
Contributor II

f8904dac8fe7446685a2f0fa35318bd8

mh314
New Contributor

Thanks, @RogerH!

I've been meaning to come back and update this. This is essentially what I ended up doing as well. I also ended up downloading a new token for the VPP account, just to be sure.

LarryH
New Contributor III

Just had to do this and everyone in our orginization got mutiple notification from the iTunes Store saying that Apps were no longer assigned to them. Even thogh the apps were still on the devices.

listec
New Contributor III

This is scary. Will all the iOS apps reinstall? That would not be good.

bbennett
New Contributor

For anyone still seeing this, I found a possible situation that may have been resulting in the MDMClient Error:72. Needs further testing.

I've had two instances of each VPP App, one for imaging deployment with scoped users, one for Self-Serve available to all computers. Some of our apps we'd prefer not to automatically update for stability purposes, some we do, so I didn't have the global

Gear>App Updates>"Schedule Jamf Pro to automatically check iTunes for app updates"

checked. I was controlling that on an App by App basis, with the Self-Serve items always being on the latest version but the deployment ones being a version or so behind.

In hindsight, I think the ones that had conflicting versions, then eventually all of them started giving the 72 error. I've now checked the global setting and once the versions matched across the board the apps appear to be dropping consistently.

This is just a theory based on possible coincidence, but if anyone is in a similar position perhaps they can test.

It may simply be that once the app is updated in the AppStore, previous versions are not available to be installed and, unless you have the global setting checked or every individual application set to auto update, the installation will fail to install once an update is released.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

This issue (Product Issue-007435 ) is supposed to be resolved in Jamf Pro 10.27. However, we are still seeing the problem with various Apple MAS/VPP apps such as macOS Big Sur installer, Keynote, etc.

Can anyone else verify this?

djp
New Contributor

I just got the same error pushing out Microsoft Word. Running Jamf 10.28.0-t1615386406. Pushing out to Catalina computer that was just wiped and OS installed. THis has been fine. I have pushed this for months. I will just cancel and hope ot works. I'd hate to revoke and people lose apps.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

From what I was told by JAMF about the MDMClient Error:72 error in December was this is a known issue between JAMF and Apple. They had a ticket open for it but I dont have the number handy. What I remember of the situation is it has something to do with network latency and timing out the connection.

If I remember correctly JAMF said unchecking "Require admin password to install or update apps" in the restrictions payload the configuration profile enforcing it was a work around.

@djp I recommend creating a new thread, this one is 4 years old. You may get more attention with a new post rather than bumping an old one.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@AJPinto We have never enabled "Require admin password to install or update apps".

I have made Jamf Support aware of this thread (and related posts). You are correct, this appears to be an old issue.

The Jamf PI (PI-007435) is linked to AppleCare ticket #100893229861.

My Apple Enterprise rep mentioned that he thinks its fixed in macOS 11.3 (due in April), but that doesn't help us - we would like older Catalina Mac users to pull the VPP Big Sur installer from Jamf Self Service.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

@dstranathan

When we had our ticket in December the JAMF Rep told us Apple "fixed" it with MacOS 10.15.7, and it would not effect Big Sur. Seems like its an issue they still don't have a handle over.