MDMClientError:72

DennisMX
Contributor II

Why do we encounter the "VPP redownload call timed out <MDMClientError:72>" error on all Mac Appstore apps?

I read that it is not an Apple issue, but a Jamf issue?
Will it try agan later?
Can i run a command or push a script to re-try?

Maybe some document of Jamf that can help here?

35 REPLIES 35

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@DennisMX from what I am being told it is filed as an active PI by Jamf and they are working with Apple. See this discussion for more info:

vpp redownload call timed out <mdmclienterror:72>

MacAce
New Contributor II

I have started experiencing this as of last week... macOS 12.3

This has been occurring for me as well, any advice on how you fixed it?

DennisMX
Contributor II

You also found that, but it doesn't seem to have any priority if they are looking at it since february.
Could it just be as simple as Apple blocking all connections from Jamf devices due to possible DDOS?

Some times it works, maybe if you try at a less crowded time?

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@DennisMX Apple and Jamf have been actively investigating this together for a month so far, patience is a virtue.

krismonier
New Contributor II

I've had a little luck with this process...

1) Turn WiFi off on Mac
2) Cancel all pending and failed commands
3) Push a new Application that has yet to be pushed to the Mac. Something random or new, it doesn't matter as long as it wasn't provisioned to the Mac up to this point.
4) WiFi back on
5) If you can get this new app to download and install, the rest of the apps that are queued up should start downloading.

This has worked for me for 2 out of 3 of the last machines I erased and re-provisioned for new users. Definitely not a good solution for shops on-boarding more than a handful of people a week.

DennisMX
Contributor II

@krismonier Will test this...
It seems that this issue is getting worse every day.
It went from seeing the issue sporadic, to sporadic having the mac store apps installed.

kstrick
Contributor III

@krismonier Plus one, it's gotten much worse this week.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Same here, all week.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

techsupportda
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same. I had see the issue occasionally in the past but with a clear of the errors the install would work. I have been trying for the last 2 days off and on to get any apps to install. I will try the above mentioned workaround but someone needs to light a fire under the developers to get this resolved. I am just glad I am only working on a machine as a replacement and not for a new employee. That would create quite the embarrassing situation for me as I don't have time or packages to do these installs another way.

sgorney
New Contributor III

Seeing this with our VPP installs of Xcode the most.

merps
Contributor III

We had issues starting around 10AM 2 days ago - when we signed into Apple Business manager, the Apps and Books pane loaded a message about the store being unavailable.

Checked around 1115 and the store was back. Cleared failed and pending management commands, ran recon and the VPP apps came down on 2 of the 3. The third device I had to exclude the device from scope on each of the VPP apps, clear failed and pending management commands, and reboot. Then I un-excluded the device from one of the Apps (Microsoft Outlook) & it installed. Un-excluded the others one by one and each started to install within 2 seconds of saving Application scope.

merps
Contributor III

Updating - VPP fell down for us Friday Oct 25 and didn't clear itself up after rounds of clearing pending commands and running recon. Had to revert to pkg installs for Office and XCode.

Yesterday, needed Microsoft Remote Desktop from VPP and was able to install properly after doing this:
- Uncheck "Assign VPP Content", save
- Edit, recheck "Assign VPP Content", save

This was needed on each Mac App Store App to get them going again.

b28373914ae24177ac947d50fe52e628

boberito
Valued Contributor

GREAT TIMING OF THIS POST...I started seeing this show up!

esv
New Contributor II

Anyone got it working or any other tricks?

tried the @merps suggested, but no luck still fails:
VPP redownload call timed out <MDMClientError:72>

jamisondonato
New Contributor II

We have tried this repeatedly today and still no luck. even for small apps like Slack or Trello

landon_Starr
Contributor

Our organization reverted back to packaging the O365 apps because of this.

jamisondonato
New Contributor II

We have reverted to pushing packages also. not fun.

merps
Contributor III

@esv @landon_Starr our fix worked for just a day or so, and now I’ve reverted back to packaging MS office and Xcode. Luckily we weren’t trying to use VPP for anything else on macOS.

jonohayes
New Contributor III

This has been happening for about 3 or 4 months for 1 organisation we looked after. Good luck waiting for Apple and Jamf to sort this.

Only seems to be an issue with Jamf Pro other MDMs fine.

Cayde-6
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jonohayes I’ve heard other MDMs are affected including MobileIron & InTune so clearly not just Jamf.

dash4385
New Contributor II

This has been an issue for a while now no sign of a fix anytime soon. https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/31057/vpp-redownload-call-timed-out-mdmclienterror-72
Everything points to an Apple problem and we all know enterprise Mac developments are Very Very low on their lists.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Honestly, this longstanding bug is seriously making me reconsider ever deploying Apps to Macs via the Mac App Store ever again. It'd be one thing if it was just a temporary glitch, but this is now many months old, is intermittent, unpredictable, and makes everyone look bad -- Apple, my Tech Department, me (as the architect of the deployment), the Macs themselves, Jamf (and other MDM solutions). You think the end user cares who is at fault? All they know is that they are trying to install an App via Self Service (as they've been instructed to do) and it often fails.

supson
New Contributor III

YEARS old apparently, having this issue right now! Grr

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@dash4385 wrote:

Everything points to an Apple problem and we all know enterprise Mac developments are Very Very low on their lists.

Would be nice to get more details from Apple but so far nothing.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

SextonB
New Contributor

Remind me... WHAT was the benefit we were to receive from utilizing this method? Seems we CONTINUE to come up kinda short... :-/

HarvNagra
New Contributor

Hi all, I'm a new Jamf Pro user and this has been doing my head in – I haven't been seeing the error in the Device > Management > Failed Commands because I think they clear out after a while. I've happened to spot the multiple failed commands on a device I'm trying to deploy this evening.

Oddly the typical culprits tend to be MS Office Apps (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook) but I get this on occasion with Slack, Keynote, Numbers and Pages as well.

I've noticed this thread hasn't been active since April 2020. Has anyone found a fix? The main way I've found to sort the issue is to go to the software in the Jamf > Mac App Store Section > unscope it and then rescope it / save. This sends a new push to the devices.

Quite frustrating as this is compromising the promise of 'zero touch deployment'.

Would really appreciate any tips.

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

I'm seeing error 72 with VPP Big Sur installer.

Hello Jamf and Apple? This issue has persisted for years...

jkf
New Contributor III

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

This issue (Product Issue-007435 ) is supposed to be resolved in Jamf Pro 10.27. However, we are still seeing the problem with various Apple MAS/VPP apps such as macOS Big Sur installer, Keynote, etc.

Can anyone else verify this?

maurits-pro
New Contributor II

I see the error 72 in WorkspaceOne UEM with macOS 10.15.7 (pages, keynote fail to install). seems to me Apple is the one to fix this?!

bassic
New Contributor III

I'm having this as well... can't believe it's still not fixed. I'm going back to deploying packages.

Gary_R
New Contributor III

Our org has also gone back to packages because of this issue.

MacAce
New Contributor II

Still happening it seems....

supson
New Contributor III

October 2022 and it is still happening - The trick of UNCHECKING "Assign Content Purchased in Volume" may have worked, I no longer see the Failed commands, I'll have to reach out to the client tomorrow to see if it is installed.