Merging Jamf instances

T_Armstrong
Contributor

Embarking on a project and deep enough into it that I want to make sure I'm not overlooking (a lot of) things.

Company currently has two Jamf instances. Two divisions of the company, let's call them "A" and "B", each with their own JSS, both cloud-hosted. My job is to consolidate them with the minimal impact on users possible.

Right now, all systems on "A" will be moved to the "B" instance. I've used Jamf-Migrator to copy the majority of profiles, policies, etc. to a new site on "B". Broad overview, but what I'm looking at is the following:

Move all existing computers, devices, policies, etc. on "B" into a new site "Site B". Migrate all computers, devices, policies, etc from "A" to "Site A" on server B.

Gradually (and likely in parallel) move systems from their individual sites out to top-level (no real need for sites in our environment), as we test.

Main issue right now is that the two sites are not mirrors... slightly different policies, different VPP accounts, DEP, etc. Thus the need to test systems from each, gradually as we move.

For Macs, I'll just push out a re-enrollment policy from "A" to enroll in "B". For iOS, we're aware that we'll need to do a wipe/reload. Frustrating, so we may just keep a few spares around and swap them out, at least for VIPs.

Anyone see major flaws with the approach, or been through something similar and have good advice to give?

2 REPLIES 2

T_Armstrong
Contributor

Bump! "One bump only, Vasilly"

leslie
Contributor II
Contributor II

Check and verify scopes for configuration profiles will deploy as desired.