Methods to Stop MacOS Updates

bbarciz
Contributor

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on stopping Mac OS  software updates?  We try to maintain control of what updates go out when because of our classes and such, and was looking for thoughts on ways to achieve this.  It drives me crazy when an issue comes up and I look at a lab and there are 2 or 3 different OS versions on different computers.

Thanks for your suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pete_c
Contributor III

Use the 'deferral' payload (Computers > Configuration Profiles > Restrictions > Functionality).  Limit admin users and make sure you have a regular, solid policy to rotate any local admin account passwords (incrementing 22 to 23 does not count).  Define and publish standards for organizationally owned or managed equipment in terms of supported OS and app versions.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Joostvantwout
New Contributor III

Hello,

We are deploying a .plist config profile to hide software updates pane in system preferences. And we restrict the pane via the restrictions configuration profile. We make sure our OS keeps getting the minor update via a re-occurring policy which executes "SoftwareUpdate -iaR".

pete_c
Contributor III

Use the 'deferral' payload (Computers > Configuration Profiles > Restrictions > Functionality).  Limit admin users and make sure you have a regular, solid policy to rotate any local admin account passwords (incrementing 22 to 23 does not count).  Define and publish standards for organizationally owned or managed equipment in terms of supported OS and app versions.

bbarciz
Contributor

Thank you for the feedback.  Are you disabling the keep my Mac up to date using a config profile - Software Update area?  If so, are you removing the checkmark in all of the items?  Also, do you know if the deferral payload needs configured along with the software update ones for any reason?