Microsoft Automatic Update Server (2019)

Chuey
Contributor III

Hello,

Currently i have setup my own MAU Server hosted on Ubuntu with NGINX serving up updates for Office 2016. It has worked great and saved me TBs of data from going out to the web.

Currently for Mojave DEP Machines I am deploying Office 2019 with the same configuration profile ensuring automatic updates, extended logging, updateCache, etc.

My Office 2016 folks are still getting updates from my MAU server but it seems that my 2019 users are not. They currently have 16.21 when there is a 16.24 update available.

When I go to the autoupdate.log it doesn't even look like it's checking my MAU server. Oddly enough though it checks Microsoft's CDN but still doesn't update?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Chuey
Contributor III

Bump -- I'm hoping someone can help me here if I'm missing something. . . My configuration profile for Office 2016 works perfect -- clients will hit my internal update server and it works.

With Office 2019 -- the same configuration profile it will not work -- I remove the configuration profile and it can download from Microsoft CDN.

Am I missing something? Did the config profile settings change for 2019?

talkingmoose

Yes, the settings for your configuration profile must be specific to the Office 2016 generation (v15.9 through 16.16.x) or Office 2019 generation (16.17 and higher) that you're deploying.

You can use your existing profile. Just modify the application identifiers according to this plist:

https://github.com/pbowden-msft/Payloads/blob/master/MAU_AppArray2019.plist

Chuey
Contributor III

@talkingmoose thank you for that ... So now my issue is my MAU Updater App only sees 1 registered product ... I have to open each product for it to see as registered. Wasn't there a way to make it "seem" like all apps were opened previously so it will check for all registered apps?

talkingmoose

@Chuey, that's what the app array is for. Deploy that as a configuration profile and it should register all the apps for MAU. You may need to deploy the full Office 2019 generation installer the first time and then let MAU take over from there.

latorrep
New Contributor II

Hi @Chuey do you have any documentation on how you have set up this MAU server? I cannot find any docs about this matter online

Cheers