Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac - No License Found

luke_french
New Contributor

We are testing deployment of Microsoft Defender ATP through Jamf, and everything goes great during the initial deployment. Things look fine for days, but as soon as the user reboots or moves to a different network, ATP starts throwing a "No License Found" error.

I have verified that the device is activated in the ATP console, and that our orgID is set properly on the device.

Followed these instructions to the letter:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/microsoft-defender-atp/mac-install-with-jamf

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
7bc065ee4cda480f939ad48d303cada0

11 REPLIES 11

rels
New Contributor

I have the same issue with a Macbook i've enrolled yesterday.
When I de MDATP health it return a 1 which should mean the product is onboarded and functioning as expected.
I will check the steps because there have been some changes in it since Catalina.

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I found that that untill Full Disk Access is granted for the app, which should be done with a PPPC configuration profile, the license message showed, once allowed the license should be found. The PPPC based on MS's own doc is known not to work as seen here https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/34738/microsoft-defender-privacy-preferences-policy-control-in-macos-10-15
I had to grant control manaully, but luckly this was just a test and we are going with Cisco AMP instead.

dmw3
Contributor III

We had a similar issue with the "No License", this seemed to resolve itself it we forced a update check after the initial install of Defender ATP.

CapU
Contributor III

I too am having problems with this one. I was successful in getting my machines to download and install the configuration policy but I see the No License found error. I have forced an update as suggested
dda049f791d3485e81b3c07a02423c87

TeeKa
New Contributor

We also had this issue. Resolution was to create a configuration profile. Use the APLLICATION & CUSTOM SETTINGS option and choose com.microsoft.autoupdate2 as preference domain. we chose for instance: Automatically check, download, and install updates;
Production as Update Channel;
Enable check for updates = TRUE;
and at least Applications:
Microsoft Defender ATP

c805e5b4641147a894848fa00a352fa0

daniel_behan
Contributor III

The security center gives the option of using a script or a plist. The script seems to work better.

taz231190
New Contributor III

If anyone is still having this issue might be worth having a look at your PLIST my was named ..plist I copied and pasted from the MS doc and there was a full stop after the preference domain which I had pasted in

justin_beek
New Contributor III

I am a little late to the thread, but we use this:

/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft\ AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS/msupdate --install --apps wdav00

It usually updates within 30 minutes.

You are awesome. Thank you for this.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi All,

Looks like I am joining this fun party!

Just read through the  documentation and first run through of the various parts was a bust.

Starting over today

What is the required order for the bits to be installed?

Anybody with helpful hints feel free to share.

Sandy