Microsoft Office Setup Assistant

jstrauss
Contributor

Hey everyone,

I've created a package of Office 2008, but when I deploy it to a few machines and log in as different users, the Setup Assistant runs and asks me to confirm a few settings. How do I get rid of the Setup Assistant starting up so users who click on an Office app are able to use the app immediately? I've gotten this to work when Office is built directly into my master, but not yet when it's a package in a modular build.

Thanks so much!

Jeffrey A. Strauss
Department of Educational Technology
Systems Administrator
Loyola High School of Los Angeles
1901 Venice Blvd.
Los Angeles, Ca 90006
(213) 381-5121

5 REPLIES 5

Not applicable

We had the same issue trying to deploy MS office to our students - each student who logs in gets the setup assistant. To work around it -

We found that MS Office wants to create an identity in Address book
So to resolve the issue - we copied the User/Library/Application Support/AddressBook User/Library/Preferences/com.apple.AddressBook.plist
in addition to all the Microsoft files and plists to the home folders of
all the students.

This was done as we set up the defaults for all homefolders through Work
Group Manager.

I hope that helps!

Kimberly J. Police
District Technician
kpolice at ctsd.k12.nj.us

Bukira
Contributor

Hi, i dont have a problem with this, i added the Microsoft preferences to workgroup manager as managed preferences and i never get the setup assistant.

Criss

Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

ernstcs
Contributor III

I've also included the settings/files noted already for a user so they are not prompted in my package and use FUT.

Craig E

Not applicable

Eric -
You are right - you should not replace your addressbook prefs if you have
info in there!

In our case - we were creating NEW users accounts And they are students (who don't really utilize Address book)
We created a generic identity May not have been the most elegant way to do it - but it got the job done!

Kimberly J. Police
District Technician
kpolice at ctsd.k12.nj.us

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

How are you creating the users? I've changed how we setup generic users so that they pull the registered info form the user template.