Migrating Jamf to new server

Majed1
New Contributor

Hi all

We have installed latest version of jamf pro on a new virtual machine. The server was running fine so when we decided to restore it, after the database restore we get this message.

Majed1_0-1677048448708.png

The source is a mac mini and OS is big sur v11.6.8 and is running jamf pro 10.27.0 and server tools 2.7.7.

Target is a VMware virtual machine and OS is ubuntu 22.04.2 and is running jamf pro 10.43.1 and server tools 2.7.14.

Is it because the database version is an older version?

appreciate any help.

12 REPLIES 12

Keith_L
New Contributor III

Majed1
New Contributor

Thank you for your response

We are aware of the incremental upgrade. but the issue here is not an upgrade issue as the target machine has the latest version of jamf pro running. which was running fine until we used a back up from an older jamf version which comes from the source. This method is actually
supported according to this instruction (https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/technical-articles/page/Migrating_to_Another_Server.html) method 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Jamf upgrades make changes to the database schemas, especially when going from 10.27 to 10.43.1. I know because we recently upgraded our on prem Jamf Pro from 10.26.1 to 10.42.1. I think the only way to do this is to install 10.27 on your VM, migrate the DB from the Mac mini to the VM. Assuming that's successful, then you should be able to perform the incremental upgrades on the VM to get it to the latest version, or whatever version you're wanting to upgrade to. You're trying to move it and upgrade at one time, and I just don't think that's going to work.

Edit: I posted my response above before I saw both @AJPinto and @sdagley 's responses, which are both saying the same thing I just did. That seems like a unanimous opinion to me. You're going to need to follow the steps outlined to get this to work.

Majed1
New Contributor

we have tried to install same legacy version on target now. we came further in the process but not in goal yet.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I strongly recommend contacting JAMF Support on this. There are way too many nuances that can go wrong, and a lot of intimate detail about your server is needed to even be able to speculate as how to help.

My suggestion is on the new server, put the exact same version of JAMF Pro, Java and MySQL that your current server has. Start JAMF to make sure the blank configuration will load. Then move all the necessary files and database over and configure JAMF. Once everything is up and running on the new server let your devices check in and very everything is working correctly. Once you know everything is working on the new host server, then you can upgrade to a newer version of JAMF. Trying to change servers and upgrade at the same time is way too many variables to troubleshoot if something goes wrong. If you are not already, do this in the sandbox first as you can really screw up your environment while doing this.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

What @AJPinto said (and what @Keith_L said regarding the incremental upgrades).

The "Method 1: Migrate to the new host server when all software is up to date" migration means _both_ JSS instance are up to date and running the same version. You cannot migrate a backup from JSS 10.27.0 to JSS 10.43.1, and you'll need your VMware hosted JSS to start with JSS 10.27.0 just like your Mac mini hosted instance, then upgrade the VMware instance through the incremental steps to 10.43.1

Majed1
New Contributor

I dont believe you are correct in the meaning of Method 1. If it is doable is a whole other matter.

Method 2 seems more like how you understand it.
bottom line is that the migration instruction does not take into account the patch legacy that could happen like in our case. We agree it is never smart to be so far behind on patch level but thats how it is

i have installed the target with the same jamf pro version. database restore was successfull
connect to the webinterface and it started to do some activity with a progress bar. after a minute it stopped with the message
"Fatal error logged during server initialization: There was an error updating the database schema. Contact JAMF Software Support."

Jamf suport requested the JSS logs which has been attached to our case

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@Majed1 I am quite positive in my understanding of the requirements for Method 1 having been thought the JSS migration process a few times.

Keith_L
New Contributor III

And to add on. Please ensure that you’ve turned off Logs before you make a backup. Because you are migrating from macOS to Linux environment. If you do not turn off Logs. When you restore the backup to the new VM, you will fail during Jamf startup.

This is because the path to Logs has changed from macOS to a Linux folder (that you will specify after startup in Jamf)

Majed1
New Contributor

this is a valid suggestion. 

We are unable to find how to flush / disable log other than just adjust the retention to days or month
If you know how to do it we would appreciate the information

I don't recall specifying log path during installation though.
We used the jamf installation script which more or less to care of everything. Maybe that is why we are where we are.

thanks in advance

Keith_L
New Contributor III

@Majed1 The place to change where you point the Logs folder to is at Settings > System > Change Management

Majed1
New Contributor

these where not enabled so it is not the issue.