Missing Management Commands

Micah_Smith
New Contributor II

I know this is likely a total noob question, but I'm stuck and looking for help.
We're still in the early phases of deployment, and only have a couple of devices enrolled thus far. I have two iPad's enrolled - one is my tester, the other is a simple sign-in kiosk in our front lobby.

For my test iPad, I have installed a blueprint from Apple Configurator. The blueprint contains a few simple profiles: our CA certificate, a config file that automatically connects the device to a WiFi network, and an enrollment profile. This was created essentially as a test bed with which to configure out-of-the-box iPads.

For the kiosk iPad, I simply enrolled it via our enrollment URL. The issue I'm having is the disparity between the management commands that are available for the test iPad, versus the kiosk iPad.

Notice how for the kiosk iPad, there are much less options. Whereas the test device, which had profiles installed via Configurator, has the full range of commands available.

I imagine this has to be something with one of our certificates not being installed correctly. Sorry for being so vague. Has anyone out there ran into this? I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious...

d60bb88c1b194c69a888a8a3eccdf9b7
c34857363c444d218f43a7f77f8cb1ee

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm far from an expert on anything related to mobile device management (meaning iOS), but I think the difference is between the enrollments. The test iPad is enrolled via Configurator and therefore might be a "Supervised" device, but I'm not sure since you didn't get into that at all. And the other iPad is enrolled via the standard UIE process. As I understand it, you get a lot more options on how to manage a device when it's enrolled in a supervised mode. That might also include remote management commands.

So that might be it. Someone else with more knowledge of this should chime in though.

Micah_Smith
New Contributor II

@mm2270 Yes, I should have been more specific - the Test iPad is labeled as Supervised. Whereas the kiosk iPad is not. So I take it then, that non-supervised devices simply have less commands available by design?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, that's basically it. "Supervised" is a more controlled mode of enrollment per Apple's MDM spec and guidelines, and allows you to push and do more to the devices. If you look through some of the Config Profile payloads and options, you should see some items that are labeled as "Supervised only" or something to that effect. I was't aware that it also affected the remote commands list, since I don't use Jamf Pro to manage iOS devices, but it kind of makes sense that would be the case.

Micah_Smith
New Contributor II

Thank you, this makes total sense. We plan on rolling out DEP for all our devices, so this should solve the Supervised issue.