Mojave SMB network share issue

tdclark
Contributor

When I started at my current organization they were (and still are) using a Mac mini to mount an iSCSI share. Previously this was being done on a machine running macOS 10.10 with Server. Earlier this year when I had to replace the machine I didn't install Server (because it doesn't do File Sharing anymore), but since that time I am consistently (at least 3 to 4 times per week) having to restart the sharing services on the machine by unloading and reloading the smbd.plist.

Now the "higher ups" are starting to take notice of the downtime and want to know why it's broken. I have searched far and wide but I am not finding anything to resolve this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Move the files/shares over to Windows Server.

tdclark
Contributor

@jared_f Believe me, that is what I want to do. Unfortunately this department is... ...special. They throw a tantrum every time "IT makes us change our workflow". Eventually, yes, we will be doing that, but in the mean time if you have any OTHER suggestions I'd love to hear them!

retroroscoe
Contributor

Make sure you're either running the latest version of Mojave or upgrade to Catalina. This was a big issue here when we first took our Mac File Server over to 10.14. In the end, we had to recreate all the shares from scratch. and yes run the unload/load cmd eriodically. Since moving to Catalina not seen the issue