Mondada joins Jamf

wudi
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

Hi Jamf Nation,

I hope you are enjoying this year’s virtual JNUC! Thank you to all who are contributing to the Jamf Nation community, whether it be through presenting sessions, participating in Q&A and chat, or just attending. We are lucky to serve you.

This morning, we announced the acquisition of Mondada, the creators of patch management solutions Kinobi and Kinobi Pro. Duncan, Justin, and the whole team at Mondada have been long-time members of our Jamf Nation community, and their team’s experience and history supporting Apple technology at scale are great additions to the Jamf family. We are excited to welcome them, and can’t wait to get started working together!

We’re not ready to talk about exact plans yet, but more to come soon, Jamf Nation. Enjoy the rest of JNUC!

wudi

25 REPLIES 25

garybidwell
Contributor III

Amazing! Kinobi is a fantastic product

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, this is awesome, heard great things about Kinobi.

Kudos to Jamf and Kinobi!

--
https://donmontalvo.com

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

Awesome! Maybe Patch Management will get some much needed love.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

^some much needed love^ripped out and replaced with something that is actually usable^

grahamrpugh
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Once again, a good acquisition of very clever developers, following on the trend with the folks from Orchard & Grove and Objective See. Congratulations to @duncan.mccracken and Justin!

This is clearly an effort to give Patch an extra push - I assume there will be a Patch Pro paid package definition service like Kinobi Pro. With that in mind, please now put extra effort into giving us an API for uploading packages, and please please please don't put that API behind another premium product!

barnesaw
Contributor III

Yay, something else that requires premium support and/or an additional per-device fee, putting it out of reach for most.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Don't know the product, but glad patch management is getting loves.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I hope this means local application state management

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@tlarkin desired state rules.

--
https://donmontalvo.com

gabe2385
Contributor

In our environment we have the Kinobi add-in to our JSUS, This is great for us to decommission our NetSUS server since NetSUS is going away in the future. As long as it works as it does now in the future we should be good to go.

justin_d_clark
New Contributor

@gabe2385 Kinobi Open-Source 1.2 and up (currently at version 1.3.2) removed the requirement for NetSUS. There are migration instructions on the GitHub page here

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

This is an awesome and welcome addition. Please add this to the core Jamf Pro product as patch management could be done really well with this product given what I saw at last year's JNUC.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

It's my sincere hope that the features of Kinobi will be fully integrated into the Jamf Pro product, and not spun off as a separate service or product, a la Jamf Protect. It actually makes sense for Jamf to have Jamf Protect as a standalone product, since it could drive the cost up of the main Jamf Pro offering if it was included, and many orgs like to use their own AV/Malware products, so it could be a non-starter for some customers.

But patch management is a critical piece of functionality in today's world, and hasn't been the easiest to perform with the current Jamf offering. The initial Patch Management system introduced a few years ago was a good start, but still lacks many features that would make it truly useful. My hope is that integrating Kinobi will fill in the gaps nicely.

jhuls
Contributor III

Until scheduling gets added to patch management not interested.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

If it isn't local state or somewhat server-less model I am also not very interested

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I'll be curious to see how the Kinobi software catalog is made available to Jamf customers, in particular how Jamf is going to handle the additional infrastructure. My biggest worry is that the turnaround for new titles (which from my experience was about 24 hours) is going to shift to the "maybe never" model that Jamf follows right now when people request new titles as a feature request (much like many other feature requests)…

john-hsu
New Contributor III

I've been using Kinobi open source for a year and a half now. Very solid product. The critical missing link with Patch Management is still on Jamf's end. There are many industries such as Higher Ed which need some sort of maintenance window/scheduling of patch policies. It's frustrating that Jamf has scheduling in regular policies but not with patch policies.

I was hoping (still hoping) that a maintenance window/scheduling will happen soon and then I can fully embrace Jamf's Patch Management.

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

One of the big missing pieces for us is silent patching. If a Mac is in scope for a patch, and the app isn't running, why not just run the patch? Why prompt at all? At least give us the option to silently patch if the app isn't running, and prompt if it is. I feel like that's the ideal scenario.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

@emily +1 I am a big fan of silent patching and setting app states, really this should be the standard as no one should ever really want apps with known vulnerabilities on their fleet.

hcodfrie
Contributor

Yes Yes Yes @emily i totally agree with you

Not applicable

amazing he is a well-known human.

JamfMyMac
Contributor

Wonder if will need to buy another license for this...... any one know?

dgreening
Valued Contributor II

@aaelic24 The white paper on patch management posted by Jamf today says that there is no additional charge for this functionality.

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

There is still no update to patch management, this is the #1 thing requested from my clients and still, nothing has been added since Jamf bought this company. Please Jamf add this auto patch solution soon....

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

gavin_pardoe
New Contributor III

I want to be wrong but im pretty sure this will be seprate licenced service and not included with Jamf Pro. I also heard something about a new licence type that will inlculde all Jamf software/services with a single subscription.