More Jamf and Printer woes...

kwoodard
Contributor III

When I use JAMF Admin to add printers to our server, even though a PPD is captured, JAMF defaults to using a generic PPD. I have to then go into JAMF, edit the printer, uncheck the "use generic PPD", save, edit again, then update the path to the PPD, because the default path that JAMF uses, is also incorrect; then save. Is there a way to adjust how the printer is initially saved to JAMF so I don't have to go in and edit each printer (211 of them)?

15 REPLIES 15

kwoodard
Contributor III

Anyone?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Ewww... that doesn't sound fun. I was hoping to jump in here and give you pointers on how to script these installations using lpadmin but... since you've already got 211 printers in there I hope someone has something already sorted out and tested via the API.

kwoodard
Contributor III

Yeah. It is frustrating that JAMF Admin sets a default setting when it imports printers. I wish that was something that the user could alter.

ibrahim_senyer
New Contributor III

I never had this issue, printers are always getting the right PPD (Jamf never defaulting).
How do you install deploy the printer to computer?

kwoodard
Contributor III

I have all the printers configured on one computer. I then open JAMF Admin and select add printer. Window pops up and I select the printers I want to add to JAMF. Then save. The PPD is captured, but the software default is to use a generic PPD. I have to manually switch that for every printer.

ibrahim_senyer
New Contributor III

which protocol are you using to add printers? also is your print server Windows or Mac?

kwoodard
Contributor III

The printers are added to my Mac workstation via LPD IP address in the Add Printer area of System Preferences. Then I launch JAMF Admin and click the button to add printer. Not sure what you are after beyond that.

ibrahim_senyer
New Contributor III

If the print server is windows os can you try with SMB
also alternatively you can add them by script

create policy to install PPDs and add below script

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p PrinterName -L "Location" -E -v smb://your.printserver/queue_name -P Path_to_PPD -o auth-info-required=negotiate

kwoodard
Contributor III

That is how we had been doing it in the past, nearly identical script. What we are trying to do is have everything in JAMF setup to be “so simple a caveman could do it...” So to this end, we want the printers with associated PPDs all in JAMF and ready to deploy. Trying to utilize as much of the GUI as possible.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@kwoodard I completely understand. I would have preferred to do it this way (GUI) myself just for the simplicity!

ibrahim_senyer
New Contributor III

@kwoodard I totally understand, scripts could be problematic sometimes. I have used scripts and had few issues, then i started to use ldp protocol (had issues as well), finally I ended up with installing printers using smb protocol and almost I had no issues.

rjford
New Contributor II

We run into this as well.. we have about 1/3 of the printers you do, however. I don't envy you!

kwoodard
Contributor III

Do you have to in one by one and fix them In jamf?

ibrahim_senyer
New Contributor III

@kwoodard No, you need to do exactly same as how you doing for ldp protocol. But instead of you choose smb protocol. It is a bit tricky to add them with smb protocol.
You can see how in the link below;
https://it.faa.illinois.edu/services/printing/57-printing-services/220-add-printer-mac-smb

kwoodard
Contributor III

I will try that and see if it behaves better.